Water in Drive Oil

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Well, I have a 5 gallon bucket of drive oil, about 2 gallons full of oil.. It rained and water somehow got into the bucket.. Ideas on how to get the water out of the oil so Im not tossing 2 gallons of drive oil?

shrew

Lieutenant
I wouldn't leave motor oil or drive lube out in an open bucket at all. If I did for any length of time I would toss it. How do you prevent debris, condensation, rain water, or particulates from contaminating the oil? Dust falls, leaves fall. That seems very unusual to me.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'm guessing he had some sort of lid on the bucket, but water got in anyway...

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
I had a factory lid on it, with the pour spout. Spout leaked I guess. Anyways, I poured it all into clear gallon jugs. Not worth saving, too much water.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I'm confused....but to be fair, I'm just in from the pub !
Do you mean that you have a drum of gear oil that you left open and rain water got in ?
Or do you mean you drained the gear oil into a bucket and planned to re use it...but water got to it ?
Personally, under both circumstances, I'd be using fresh gear oil.

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a 5 gallon bucket of gear oil, has a lid and a pour spout. It got left outside in the rain, and water leaked into it. Brand new gear oil, never reuse old.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Unless you happen to have an Alpha laval centrifugal purifier handy and have the plates set for the right SG rating....haha.