water in cylinder of 4.3 v-6

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1995 boat with 4.3 mercruiser. After sitting a while, I ran it on trailer with muffs then let it sit a while on trailer. When try to restart noticed a hydro lock. As it turns out only one cylinder has water in it. Is this the intake gasket or likely head gasket. Any ideas will help. thanks Also while running I did notice a miss now and then.

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Begin disassembling and as you remove each part look for a rusty water trail.

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
thanks for the quick replies. It seems I may be in a dis-assembly soon. Bt Doctur, I am having a hard time thinking about exhaust manifold and riser, and how
they could give me these symptoms on trailer with muffs. I am searching for ideas, and thank you, but please provide hints for me to understand the workings
of these. thanks gentlemen.

Bondo

Staff member
thanks for the quick replies. It seems I may be in a dis-assembly soon. Bt Doctur, I am having a hard time thinking about exhaust manifold and riser, and how
they could give me these symptoms on trailer with muffs
. I am searching for ideas, and thank you, but please provide hints for me to understand the workings
of these. thanks gentlemen.

Ayuh,... Between runnin' it, the manifold leaks water into the cylinder through the exhaust valve,....

It's the most likely place to look,...

thumpar

Admiral
Ayuh,... Between runnin' it, the manifold leaks water into the cylinder through the exhaust valve,....

It's the most likely place to look,...
Yep. The exhaust would be the first thing I would check. There is water running through there and if it rusts through it gets water in the engine. It is a normal maintenance item. The life depends on the waters you boat in.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If it's a Gen+ engine (provide the engine serial number and I can find out) and you had it running at idle on the muffs.... That's the reason for water in the cylinders...

Chris.....

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks all for the quick replies again. I suppose the block is a rebuild since it does not have the rivited mercruiser tag on it. The casting number I do find, and it is 10066061. There are vortec heads on this engine. I have had this Chaparral for a few years, but I understand it has been in fresh water all its life, (if that helps at all) By the way I do now have water in the oil, of course. thanks again Bondo, achris , thumpar and wenchead and all who chime in.!

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks all for the quick replies again. I suppose the block is a rebuild since it does not have the rivited mercruiser tag on it. The casting number I do find, and it is 10066061. There are vortec heads on this engine. I have had this Chaparral for a few years, but I understand it has been in fresh water all its life, (if that helps at all) By the way I do now have water in the oil, of course. thanks again Bondo, achris , thumpar and wenchead and all who chime in.!

Ayuh,.... So pull the exhaust manifolds, 'n look for rust tracks in the exhaust passages,.....

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Today for an update. Removed the riser and exh. manifold. I performed the acetone test as outlined in this forum. It appears I have no leaks. The mating surfaces and gasket are certainly questionable. I will try to furnish pics if I can, then ask for more opinion from the experts. thanks much ! sorry for the dupl

Bondo

Staff member
Today for an update. Removed the riser and exh. manifold. I performed the acetone test as outlined in this forum. It appears I have no leaks. The mating surfaces and gasket are certainly questionable. I will try to furnish pics if I can, then ask for more opinion from the experts. thanks much ! sorry for the dupl

Ayuh,.... No pictures,..... Post yer pictures at a photo hostin' site, like photobucket, 'n link 'em back here,....

mattb100

Cadet
I have a 95 Ebbtide Mystique 1900 4.3. This Memorial day the boat ran poor, got home did a comp test and had a spray of water come out of the comp tool when pressure was released, on all 6. Removed exhaust and made a plate to cover the riser mount on the manifold, rigged up an air hose to pressurize manifold water jacket through hose fitting, dunk in slop sink and see bubbles, buy manifold/riser sets on web, return to boating. I believe they rust through.

Fun Times

Staff member
I have a 95 Ebbtide Mystique 1900 4.3. This Memorial day the boat ran poor, got home did a comp test and had a spray of water come out of the comp tool when pressure was released, on all 6. Removed exhaust and made a plate to cover the riser mount on the manifold, rigged up an air hose to pressurize manifold water jacket through hose fitting, dunk in slop sink and see bubbles, buy manifold/riser sets on web, return to boating. I believe they rust through.
Hi there mattb100, welcome to iboats!:)

Quick question for you as it's kind of hard to tell at the moment.
With your post quoted above, were you providing you're advice of what you found on your engine in the past or were you seeking some additional advice of what to try next on your engine?

If you are seeking advice, the hosts of iboats would prefer members to start a new topic of their own. Please see the "Help Tip" at the top of the forum page for more information about topic hijacking.

Thank you
iboats Moderator team

Last edited:

Volphin

Lieutenant
Fun, looks like he was explaining an alternative manifold test procedure by pressurizing the unit. I thought the same thing at first.

mattb100

Cadet
Sorry for the confusion, I was indeed offering a different method that worked for me. No hijacking intended.

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
thanks all for the information. When I learn how to use flickr I will post pics. I do believe I have only a gasket issue.