Water in bottom cylinders v6 Evinrude 175 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water in bottom cylinders v6 Evinrude 175 hp

You should have 6 water passage deflectors [#322411] which are pieces of rubber hose. It is absolutely necessary that they be correctly placed and in good working order.

Wow. And all six should be visible? All on the outside of the cylinders like the one shown?

I'm guessing they run all along the inside of the powerblock and feed water to the top? Good working order meaning not blocked. Can I remove them to inspect?

While I have your attention, in the pic shown, the arrows are pointing to the temperature indicator wire. Can it be disconnect at this point? I would then be able to bring the head to the work bench for clean upl
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• DSCF0958.JPG
    DSCF0958.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 1

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The tan temperature switch wire has a knife connector inside the sheath that your arrows are pointing to. If you slide the sheath away you can disconnect it.

BTW, the wire should not be that close to the sparkplug or the spark plug wire.

Don't have a good picture or diagram of the V6 deflectors, but you may be able to get the idea from the thumbnail.

Attachments

• V6noheads-2_small.jpg
    V6noheads-2_small.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The tan temperature switch wire has a knife connector inside the sheath that your arrows are pointing to. If you slide the sheath away you can disconnect it.

BTW, the wire should not be that close to the sparkplug or the spark plug wire.

Don't have a good picture or diagram of the V6 deflectors, but you may be able to get the idea from the thumbnail.

Ok, I'll try and disconnect it. Otherwise I'd have to unscrew quite a few wires at the terminal.
And I'll reroute it on rebuild.

As for the deflectors, checking them means removing them and ensuring they're not blocked? Your pic is good enough for me to see where they are. Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

From the picture you attached, it looks like that one deflector is out of position. You need to check all of them. They are cheap, I'd consider just replacing all 6 of them. They direct the flow of water through the powerhead and if they are distorted/deformed or out of position, it can have a detrimental affect on the cooling of the powerhead. It would be a stroke of good fortune in you find that the head gaskets are responsible for the lower cyl water leaks. Was the leaky head gasket picture on of one of the bottom cyls that had the water issue?

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From the picture you attached, it looks like that one deflector is out of position. You need to check all of them. They are cheap, I'd consider just replacing all 6 of them. They direct the flow of water through the powerhead and if they are distorted/deformed or out of position, it can have a detrimental affect on the cooling of the powerhead. It would be a stroke of good fortune in you find that the head gaskets are responsible for the lower cyl water leaks. Was the leaky head gasket picture on of one of the bottom cyls that had the water issue?

Yes, that is the bottom cylinder on the passenger side. I had water in the driver's side cylinder as well, I'll be pulling that head off also.
So the deflectors are not connected to anything at the other end?

I leafed through my Seloc manual and nowhere could I find details on these deflectors.

Last edited:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Here's another picture showing starboard water passage deflectors. In this case, the upper two deflectors have blocked the sides and need to be replaced and the passages cleaned.

Attachments

• water deflectors bad.JPG
    water deflectors bad.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 1

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's another picture showing starboard water passage deflectors. In this case, the upper two deflectors have blocked the sides and need to be replaced and the passages cleaned.

ezeke, on december 29th, you posted a diagram for the position of deflectors for a 4 cylinder. Could you post a diagram on the correct position for my 6 cylinder or do they sit at the same position as a 4 cylinder on both sides.

Thanks again, SM

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Try this thumbnail.

Attachments

• V6 Water Deflectors.JPG
    V6 Water Deflectors.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 0

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are the 2 head gaskets thumbnails, very poor shape.

All six deflectors were pinched closed. Now I know where they go, there's like a groove at each position and when you look down the side of the cylinder, you can see a hole at the bottom for the water flow, about 3/16" dia. I'd say.

Wonder what causes these deflector hoses to become crinched, preventing the flow? Almost seems like there's not enough space to keep them from collapsing. How long do they last before they stop the flow again I wonder? Do all water cooled outboards have these?

So many questions, so little time, lol

SM

Attachments

• 2 blown head gaskets.JPG
    2 blown head gaskets.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 0

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Nothing flows through the deflectors, they simply direct the flow around the cylinders. The deflectors are cut long enough to reach the back of the opening, then trimmed even with the cylinder face with a razor blade. You will want to thoroughly clean the mating surfaces of the cylinder and cylinder heads first.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nothing flows through the deflectors, they simply direct the flow around the cylinders. The deflectors are cut long enough to reach the back of the opening, then trimmed even with the cylinder face with a razor blade. You will want to thoroughly clean the mating surfaces of the cylinder and cylinder heads first.

Hence the word "deflector" I guess. Umm, no flow through the deflector hoses. Do you know what is the purpose of the hole that the deflector butts up against?

While I have your attention. I want to change the exhaust gaskets. So far I've got the exhaust cover backed off. All the bolts, including the three at the bottom, of the outside plate but it won't bulge at all. Are there any bolts underneath that I can't see. Do I have to remove the powerblock to remove the exhaust plates?

I purchased the Seloc manual. Not as in detail as I had hoped.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Yes, that is the bottom cylinder on the passenger side. I had water in the driver's side cylinder as well, I'll be pulling that head off also.
So the deflectors are not connected to anything at the other end?

I leafed through my Seloc manual and nowhere could I find details on these deflectors.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the V6 crossflow engines have water passage deflectors and they are shown in all of the parts catalogs.

It is advisable to have the specific parts catalog at hand while working on the engine as no manual will detail every single component.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

............While I have your attention. I want to change the exhaust gaskets. So far I've got the exhaust cover backed off. All the bolts, including the three at the bottom, of the outside plate but it won't bulge at all. Are there any bolts underneath that I can't see. Do I have to remove the powerblock to remove the exhaust plates?...........................

The exhaust gaskets are normally coated on both sides with a sealer. They tend to hold well so you will probably need to persuade the cover with your rubber mallet. There is no need to remove the powerhead.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The exhaust gaskets are normally coated on both sides with a sealer. They tend to hold well so you will probably need to persuade the cover with your rubber mallet. There is no need to remove the powerhead.

I must admit that I made mistake when I wrote that it wouldn't budge at all. What I meant to say is that it separated at the top but seems to be stubborn at the bottom, that's why I was asking if there were any bolts underneath that I couldn't see. I think I'll buy a rubber mallet today, I usually use a regular hammer with a piece of wood but that could be risky. I should have bought one years ago.

TY, SM

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

When reinstalling the exhaust bubble, you need to align the bottom of the exhaust housing (be parallel to) the bottom of the powerhead to insure that you don't wind up with an exhaust leak around the exhaust oring.

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've modified this pic to show where I think you mean. The dark blue line would indicate the water flow. The lighter blue arrow would indicate where you say it has blocked the sides. Is this correct?

Attachments

• water deflectors bad.JPG
    water deflectors bad.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 0

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When reinstalling the exhaust bubble, you need to align the bottom of the exhaust housing (be parallel to) the bottom of the powerhead to insure that you don't wind up with an exhaust leak around the exhaust oring.

Thank you for the advice.

SM

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I've modified this pic to show where I think you mean. The dark blue line would indicate the water flow. The lighter blue arrow would indicate where you say it has blocked the sides. Is this correct?

If you check the diagram, the correct water flow is indicated by the arrows.

attachment.php

sweetmarie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I never noticed the small arrows. Water up the middle and down the sides. Got it.
Fortunately, the weather has been cooperating quite nicely, temp around -2 to 0 c, that's just around freezing. Good enough for me in my unheated garage. Headed there shortly.

If the deflectors come in one piece and I have to cut them, I could cut them the same length as the old ones and trim at the cylinder head. Again, do they butt up against the back wall or do I leave a certain gap?

Status
Not open for further replies.