Water In Boat -- ??

bnk999

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last time I took my boat out- as soon as I got it in the water and got in the boat I noticed the carpet was wet near the drivers seatfloor-- Drove it for a couple of hours and it got a little worse-- most of the carpet was wet. Once I got it back on the trailer I couldn't find any scrapes or holes anywhere in the hull-- After further inspection the only place I could find that it might be coming from was where the hull and the top half of the boat join together and there is the trim that goes all they way around-- I noticed the previous owner had caulked up under there at some point near the front of the boat. This would make sense as it had water immediately after putting it in when this part is right near the water line- (when I'm under way it is way too high above water) Any advice- Should I remove this piece and reseal it??

bnk999

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water In Boat -- ??

14' 1974 higgscraft tri-hull runabout

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

i really dont think that's you problem. How well did you inspect you hull. Did you move it off your boat roller to check there aswell. Look around your bung surrounds. Even a hairline crack on a high pressure area will take water quickly.<br /><br />cheers

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

That caulking is install from the boat builders when they install the top decking to the hull and install the rubrail.If its peeling away,remove the old stuff,clean it with acetone and apply new,but I don't think thats were water is coming in.Do you have any thur hulls,bildge pumps,live wells/pumps?<br />With the boat on the trailer,plug in,fill the boat up about 3",more if your trailer can hold the weight and look for leaks.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by qab999:<br /> This would make sense as it had water immediately after putting it in when this part is right near the water line- (when I'm under way it is way too high above water)
Not when your under way and hitting waves its not. If the deck to hull joint is not sealed (leaking) water can and will gush in from that spot.<br /><br />Is the rubrail tight to the side of the boat? Or is it coming loose? If the previous owner tried to seal it with something, chances are its loose and if it is its most likely leaking or gushing water in.

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by prockvoan:<br /> <br />With the boat on the trailer,plug in,fill the boat up about 3",more if your trailer can hold the weight and look for leaks.
I would never intentionally fill my boat with water, in fact I do everything possible to keep it out.

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

yeah, i wouldnt fill it with water either. A proper inspection should find your problem.<br />cheers

NMplayer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That happened to me on my tri hull. What caused it was the bow eye that you hook the winch strap to had gotten a little loose. The water was coming in the bow eye holes. It was a little tough to fix because the top hull was covering up access to the nuts. Rather than remove the top, I just cut a small hole in the bow seat. Took it apart and siliconed it and tightened it all back up. No more water.