Water in boat? Please help

Nutron

Seaman
I didn't see a thread for this so I am asking the question here. Should you have any water in your boat when you are out all day? I have a little bit of water coming out of the drain hole when I pull my boat out, I use the bilge every so often and never have water pumping out, it is below the bilge so it doesn't pick it up. I was just wondering if this was normal. Thanks again.

fireman57

Captain
Re: Water in boat? Please help

You probably just have a little residual water from people getting in and out of the boat. You have nothing to worry about. Count your blessings!

Nutron

Seaman

The only thing I noticed was the bilge pumped out maybe 1/2 a gallon or so for just a couple seconds early on in the trip. No one was swimming today we were just going for a ride. The only thing I can think is the boat was backed a little further in the water than normal and on my model which is 1988 Glastron the back end is open so I'm thinking a little water got into the inspection cap for the gas tank and bilge pump, maybe I need a new seal.

fireman57

Captain

A half gallon of water for the whole day is like having 1/2 beer and worry about driving home 7 hours later.

mickms

Cadet

How much water is acceptable to have in the bilge area below the pump level and when do you need to worry about a moisture problem? If it's bone dry, will that cause a bilge pump failure (like a dry sump pump sitting in a pit without a weep hole)?

If your docked and not trailering so the bilge pump is the only way to drain, it would seem your stuck with some water in there? But if your trailering, and leave it tipped back with the plug out, it should end up bone dry, right? Which is better for the boat?

I ask because I just bought my first boat large enough to have a bilge pump. I brought it home and raised the trailer tongue up over night and there was a big damp spot in the morning where water had dripped out slowly during the night from the drain hole. I put my finger in and there is still water in there (along with some screws, a couple washers, and a really rusted spark plug which I extracted with the help of a magnet!)

If I want to get it to bone dry, I'm going to have to get a new jack for the trailer so it tips more to the back... (or find a hill to park on).

Philster

Captain

Goal: Bone-dry bilge

Solution: Stop boating

mr 88

Commander

A couple observations.Is it a I/O of so you should check your bellows for dry rot,a tell tale sign of possible water intrusion.May start out as a gallon a trip but it will soon be more and will take out u-joints/gimbal bearing and eventually coupler. If they are good then I would not worry about the water as with all the nooks and cranny's below the deck water is sure to accumulate in them no matter how you store it. When you go out hitting waves it moves all that excess water to the stern of the boat and you wonder where did this come from.