Water In Bilge Normal New Boat

oldjeep

Admiral
I haven't seen or heard it cut in but I think mine is manual? Will it cut it automatically even if the switch is off?

Thanks

You would have to check your manual and build sheet. Wouldn't be uncommon to have an entirely manual bilge pump in an 18ft lake boat. I know my old 19 foot was manual only. (Honestly not even sure about the new boat)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I haven't seen or heard it cut in but I think mine is manual? Will it cut it automatically even if the switch is off?

Thanks

Easy to find out if it's automatic or not: while it's on the trailer, put the plug in and run some water into the bilge so that the pump is submerged. When I first got my boat, I thought mine was manual only, until one day (after a heavy rain) the pump kicked on by itself. Surprised the heck out of me...

unclemd

Cadet
Easy to find out if it's automatic or not: while it's on the trailer, put the plug in and run some water into the bilge so that the pump is submerged. When I first got my boat, I thought mine was manual only, until one day (after a heavy rain) the pump kicked on by itself. Surprised the heck out of me...

Filled the bilge up with the Garden hose and after the water level went so high the bilge pump automatically kicked in so it does have an automatic float switch.

unclemd

Cadet
Found the leak I'm pretty sure but won't know for sure till next spring since the boat is going into storage for the winter. I tried every thing to find it, I filled the boat with water to look for leaks. I strapped the boat on the trailer and backed it into the water to look for leaks with no luck. On my last trip I opened all engine compartment covers and felt water coming off my alternator belt spraying me in the face. After looking around I found a slice in my speedometer hose from factory which was spraying water over my engine. I guess over a few hours of use and moving a significant amount of water is building up in the engine compartment.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Those little hoses sure can dump a lot of water into the bildge.
Just make sure your warranty doesnt run before you solve this.