Water in all 8 cylinders

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mercuiser 5/7l I/O Alpha 1 Casement #10066036 Serial M12039V8.

So from my previous thread I now know why my new starter was behaving as it was. I have pulled the plugs finding the suspected water in all 8 cylinders. This would be fresh water at this point (I hope) due to running the motor with muffs at least 3 to 4 times in the last 3 weeks. The serial indicates this may be an 89 motor? The manifold is probably original cast iron. My wife told me she saw water leaking from under the port side and both sides have lots of rust. The water that shot out when I turned it over had plenty of rust in it. I am hoping that it is from the manifolds and not the cylinders. I do not know what to do next.

IMG_5536.jpgIMG_5533.jpgIMG_5535.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Water in all 8 cylinders

Mercuiser 5/7l I/O Alpha 1 Casement #10066036 Serial M12039V8.

So from my previous thread I now know why my new starter was behaving as it was. I have pulled the plugs finding the suspected water in all 8 cylinders. This would be fresh water at this point (I hope) due to running the motor with muffs at least 3 to 4 times in the last 3 weeks. The serial indicates this may be an 89 motor? The manifold is probably original cast iron. My wife told me she saw water leaking from under the port side and both sides have lots of rust. The water that shot out when I turned it over had plenty of rust in it. I am hoping that it is from the manifolds and not the cylinders. I do not know what to do next.

View attachment 212491View attachment 212492View attachment 212493

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Take the manifolds Off, 'n look 'em over,...

pull the risers off, 'n look for rust tracks,... it usually shows up well against the carbon black of the exhaust,...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hello David,

Thanks for starting a new thread. Firstly I notice some conflicts in the photos and the serial number you posted.
Those 'log' style manifolds would indicate pre-1983. The serial number starting with 'M' is around 2000. The casting number indicates circa 1986. The ignition module (mounted on the flame arrester) should be mounted on the inside of the port exhaust elbow if it were centre rise, is from 1987-1993. What we appear to have is someone's frankenMerc. This is going to make get the right parts 'interesting'.... One thing that would be handy to know (and help identify exactly what you have) is the rear engine mount spacing. Could be (about) 10" or 14".

Also the cylinder numbering on the manifolds.... So wrong! The numbers are, on the port side, from the front, 1, 3, 5, 7. On the starboard side, from the front 2, 4, 6, 8....

Ok... On to your water problem. Getting the water out and some oil into the cylinders is first priority. Once that's done, look for the source of the water. Water in both sides, and after the engine was running well may indicate a run-on, or a shutdown from higher than idle. I would definitely do as Bondo suggests and get the manifolds and elbows off and inspect them CLOSELY!

Chris.....
EDIT: Just noticed one of the rear engine mounting bolts in photo #1, and that appears to be the earlier, 14". That means the gimbal housing and inner transom plate are 1982 or earlier...

Last edited:

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The title claims 1982. The hull is stamped 1983.

IMG_5540.jpg
Is the pic with the cylinder marks right now?

The water is out and oiled the cylinders. I think... I might have water in the oil pan. Was going to try to drain water from the pan tomorrow.

It has been suggested that if I have water in both sides and all cylinders that it may be the intake manifold.
Does that sound off?
Is there information on taking the exhaust manifolds off?
Somehow I have got this water in the motor from the muffs. achris "inspect them CLOSELY!" what am i looking for? Cracks? There is plenty of rust on the outside.

Thanks
David

I will be back at this tomorrow.

achris

Cylinder numbering is now right.. :thumb:

To get the exhaust manifolds off, I would remove the elbows first. Just loosen the hose clamps around the top of the exhaust tube (immediately below the elbow), remove the 4 nuts holding the elbow to the end of the manifold, and lift the elbow off.... Once the elbows are off, just remove the 4 screws (on each side) holding the manifold to the head.... watch it, they are HEAVY!!!

When you inspect them you're looking for cracks, and water tracking in the exhaust chambers. Also check the elbows for corrosion through the top of them... .Very common.

Water in from an intake? Maybe. Check the manifolds and elbows first....

Chris......

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

remove the thermostat housing and look for a hole thru the bottom.

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No hole thru the T-stat Housing.
Had water in my oil as well just drained all that out.
Working on getting the elbows out/off. This old frankinwhatever is kind of a bear.
I'll keep you posted. Thank you thus far.

Some of the manifold bolts heads are rusted beyond repair. Guess I will have to improvise.

Last edited:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

This one is interesting. I will come along for the ride.

achris

..Some of the manifold bolts heads are rusted beyond repair. Guess I will have to improvise.

Just grind the heads off and slide the manifold off over them. Deal with the stuck studs with the manifold out the way...

Volphin

Lieutenant

If there is water in all 8 cyls then it is not likely an intake manifold issue. This is almost certainly an exhaust manifold issue, and judging by your images, I'd say they are long overdue for replacement. I see we have a new starter though! ;)

Volphin

Lieutenant

No hole thru the T-stat Housing.
Had water in my oil as well just drained all that out.
Working on getting the elbows out/off. This old frankinwhatever is kind of a bear.
I'll keep you posted. Thank you thus far.

Some of the manifold bolts heads are rusted beyond repair. Guess I will have to improvise.

Hit the bolts with a liberal amount of penetrating oil like liquid wrench or PB Blaster. Tap them with a hammer and resoak. Do this a few times. Then let soak overnight. THEN try and remove them. BTW, Lowes sells grade 8 bolts that will fit the manifolds... You can also use grade 5.

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello everyone. This is David's wife. I am hoping that I can possibly shed some light on this strange situation. We went to Budget Boats yesterday just to get an idea if they would have the risers and manifolds there. We ended up talking the mechanic and well he mentioned something about staying away from the carburetor when I am cleaning the motor with purple power and water. Well we had so many oil and gas issues that I have "cleaned" it out 3 times now. I had no idea about how a carburetor worked so I sprayed it with a LOT of water several times. I am hoping that this is the reason that we had water in all 8 cylinders and the oil. Please let me know if this is possible so we can stop trying to figure out how everything went south so fast. Yesterday we drained all the oil, put in fresh and fired it up. Ran fine for thirty minutes on muffs. Going out now to check for water anywhere.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was the flame arrestor on when you "sprayed the engine"? It is possible that you filled the intake with water I guess. I wonder why achris didnt think of that.....

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No I don't think it was on and the first time she washed the motor down the carb was even off. The intake holes were covered but she still may have got water in there. I have water in my oil still. After the oil change. No where near as much as before. I didn't change the filter this time. I don't want to damage my exhaust manifolds getting them off. Apparently there very hard to find. Still using PB blaster

Last edited:

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The manifolds are not difficult to find. Ebay has PLENTY for sale.

Fun Times

Staff member

Hello everyone. This is David's wife. I am hoping that I can possibly shed some light on this strange situation. We went to Budget Boats yesterday just to get an idea if they would have the risers and manifolds there. We ended up talking the mechanic and well he mentioned something about staying away from the carburetor when I am cleaning the motor with purple power and water. Well we had so many oil and gas issues that I have "cleaned" it out 3 times now. I had no idea about how a carburetor worked so I sprayed it with a LOT of water several times. I am hoping that this is the reason that we had water in all 8 cylinders and the oil.
Hello there Ashley I'd presume! Yes, cleaning the engine with water if not careful would most defiantly allow water to enter all 8 cylinders such as you are experiencing, especially the top of the engine with either the flame arrestor or carburetor removed.

The carburetor allows the correct amount of air and fuel into the engine while the intake manifold directs the correct amount of air and fuel to each of the engine cylinders. Another thing you'll need to be careful of is making sure the carburetor area is well covered during the rainy season as that can be another source of water into the cylinders if you're not careful.

Sure sounds like you located the source of the water at this time. You'll want to change the engine oil and filter about three times to help eliminate the left over milky oil thus giving you the chance at keeping an eye on the oil level and condition to ensure that the problem has diminished.

Hope our iboat team members have been able to guide you through this ordeal... Good luck to the both of you.:)

AshleysRevenge

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I believe Fun Times is right. The oil has been changed once and will be two more times as suggested along with filter the next two times. Now that this water issue has been fairly nailed down. Any other issues will be posted in a new thread. A new carb was put on today and the motor runs great out of water thus far. Thanks to all for their help. I would be so lost right now without it. David and Melissa (wife).

Ashley was our dog, that died violently the same night we got this boat. For reasons related to the boat. She will not have died in vain. Hope that clears the user name.

achris

...Well we had so many oil and gas issues that I have "cleaned" it out 3 times now. I had no idea about how a carburetor worked so I sprayed it with a LOT of water several times. ...

I think we found the source of the water... :)

Was the flame arrestor on when you "sprayed the engine"? It is possible that you filled the intake with water I guess. I wonder why achris didnt think of that.....

Yeah, good question, why didn't he think of that.... Maybe I'm not in the habit of 'hand washing' engines? :noidea: (I guess it will be a standard question I'll ask now when people have water in the engine... "Wife been washing the engine lately?" :D)

No I don't think it was on and the first time she washed the motor down the carb was even off. The intake holes were covered but she still may have got water in there. I have water in my oil still. After the oil change. No where near as much as before. I didn't change the filter this time. I don't want to damage my exhaust manifolds getting them off. Apparently there very hard to find. Still using PB blaster

Hey David, it's going to take more than one oil change. I'd stock up on cheap oil and a few filters, and be changing it every couple of hours....

When it's almost completely clear, give the engine a good run and get it nice and warm. That should be enough to boil off the last of the water, then change the oil and filter to your regular stuff....

Cheers,

Chris.......

Last edited: