Water Impeller Replacement

johnno

Cadet
Hi,<br /><br />I am unsure of the factors that determine when a water impeller needs replacing. Besides having a steady stream of water coming from the motor as an obvious sign, does the water impeller still need replacing after a number of years or after an amount of usage?<br /><br />The motor I have is a Merc 115 1979 Blueband (v6).<br /><br />Any help is appreciated.<br /><br />------------------

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Water Impeller Replacement

hey, johnno mercury says replace/inspect impeller every year.... which is way overkill....in our area we go 4 years and replace it as a maintenance item. even with a good telltale water stream coming out of block you can have the top cylinders running dry if you have a weak imprller. good luck with your motor!

Todd

Recruit

I have a '69 six pack 95hp Merc and a '82 90hp Merc, both have the same type impeller. Its easy to change might take an hour at the most, but every year is to often. I think I had my first one on for 5 years and still was pissing strong. I think as long as you watch your stream of water everytime you use it you can tell when its going bad. Which everytime I have changed my its been when it only had one fin left on it.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Only one fin left? you are waitin tooo long........

pfish1961

Cadet

Salt water, change every year. Fresh, every two. Long periods of disuse, every 2.<br /><br />Keep em wet by using them a lot, they last up to 3 years.<br /><br />Two is a good rule of thumb.