Water hose from outdrive transom? (In middle of changing bellows)

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow seems like a lot of questions about bellows latly. <br /><br />Im in the middle of my project.. Got the bellhousing off and found all my bellows looked brand new. I had a water leak on the u-joint bellow on the bellhousing side due to clamp not being tight. IT came right off when i pulled the bellhousing off. <br /><br />Anyway the little water hose that runs from bellhousing to inside the boat. Mine is all cracked up and needs replacment. Is this a special hose or can i just use some heater hose? <br /><br /><br />On a side note im glad im doing all this now.. Found out my shift bellow had water inside it as well. The only bellow that was tight and glued was the exhuast. <br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />Big-E

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water hose from outdrive transom? (In middle of changing bellows)

Heater hose will work, just make sure you get the right diameter....JK

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

be sure to measure the old hose and use the exact size.Too little and it will pull off and too much and it will kink.I usually get mine in a kit for servicing the bellhousing.In my opinion the hose that came with the kit that I had was heavier or more rigid than heater hose.

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did get a bellows kit but it didnt come with a hose. The old hose does look thicker then standered heater hose. Is the special merc hose formed to fit the curves ? <br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />Big-E

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

No there werent any curves that I remember.

elpaso

Petty Officer 1st Class

Water hose replacement. Alpha <br /><br />You can install new hose, with outdrive in place, takes 2 two men 45 minutes. <br /><br />Raise outdrive about half way. Cut old water hose in half. <br />Carefully - note the exact position of the present hose clamps. New clamps have <br />to have screws in same position. - Barb must be at same angle -<br />Man in boat, removes engine water hose from hose barb through transom. Remove<br />flat plate with two small bolts. Pry out rubber grommet, a shot of liquid soap <br />will help. As outside man wiggles and pulls - inside man pushes on barb with screw <br />driver, hose and barb will slip out. <br /><br />Install new hose on hose barb - same clamp position. Soap hose - as outside man <br />pushes hose toward hole, inside man lines up with long screw driver and then<br />grabs with long needle nose, wiggle - push it - barb will come through transom. <br />Install grommet, plate and hose from engine.<br /><br />Remove exhaust hose at outdrive, to make work space. Remove water hose clamp,<br />split hose with utility knife, and pry off, clean hose fitting (barb) with sandpaper.<br />Soap hose and fitting, put clamp on and slide hose on fitting, may take 3-4 tries<br />but it will go. Or soap barb and warm end of hose with heat gun.<br /> Tighten clamp with 1/4 drive rachet, extension and 5/16 socket.<br /><br />Sand exhaust flange and inside of hose - very clean - smear bellows adhesive on<br />both. As man lies or sits under outdrive he holds exhaust hose on flange other man<br />installs clamp. <br /><br />Hose clamp position is critical - use plenty of soap. This works, I have done it<br />many times. <br />Use Merc hose - it will be correct length - 2 sizes - 5/8 and 3/4 <br />elpaso

elpaso

Petty Officer 1st Class

PS -<br />Do not use heater hose - use Merc hose, it will be the correct<br />length-diameter - and strength so it will not kink. Heater hose <br />is to soft. Merc hose is only $15.

Bondo

Staff member

Great Post elpaso,....... <br />I never heard of that Trick before......... ;)

Big-E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks alot elpaso.. <br /><br />Allthough your info is great once i had the bellhousing off that hose came out in less then 2 min's :) <br /><br />Allrighty so i will go down to Merc and pick on up before she goes back together. <br /><br />Thanks alot, <br /><br />Big-E