water fun is over let winter projects begin

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer
Well today was the day I had been dreading for a while?winterization day. Was dreading putting her away for the winter and waiting for next years fun. Changed oil and learned that my pump I use through the dipsitck was shot, thus making that job take almost 30 minutes. With a water pump was able to pump antifreeze up through the outdrive (let her run for about 15 min so thermostat was open first). Went to the drain plugs and cracked em enuf to see AF drip out. Also checked the main hose into the block from water pump and AF was there too. Didn?t drain and refill outdrive as this was just done in august for a lower unit repair. All and all things went well and she is tucked into the garage till spring.

Going to try and knock out some projects this winter while in lay up:

~ re glue the vinyl down on the port side dash. The vinyl is separating from the plastic and just looks awful. I peeled it off this summer and tried loc tight spay glue but it didn?t hold to well. What recommendations do you have for glue or epoxy? Maybe take my time with rubber cement?

~ repack the hubs and bearings

~ have the rear bench stitched up along two little tears

~ clean the canvas cover and re-stitch a couple spots

~ carpet clean the floors

~ ORDER A BIMINI TOP!!

~ replace carpet on trailer steps

~ and maybe if I am feeling frisky strip down and repaint the trailer. It has a couple of surface rust spots. All input for this one will be good!! Was thinking sand/grind down the rust spots and scuff up the rest. Would rather roll on or brush on the paint (no good ventilation for spray). Is this possible if paint is thinned down correctly?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: water fun is over let winter projects begin

Another one bites the dust!:)

I love being on the water this time of year, and all winter. No pesky pleasure boaters or jetskis, usually have the ramp all to myself or just a couple other trucks and trailers. The fishin' is good and you don't have to sweat your nads off.

This time of year makes me smile!

cjdeaton

Cadet

Ditto with jigngrub. Down here in So. GA, weather's just now getting good for fishing.

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

Wow guys....thanks for taking this thread into a completely different direction from what I posted. Enjoy your fall and winters....

Anyone have any suggestions on re-gluing my dash or trailer work?

I'm not able to help with the dash but I will be interested to see if anyone suggest any certain type. I have a spot on the side that is losing the carpet thats my winter project well the first one anyway.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I got the call, too: air is getting chilly; ducks starting to move; water and sky clear; leaves falling. So I went ahead before it gets too cold and removed the bimini top. Time for striper fishing!!!!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

e gads.... i been working on boats all summer......barely got time for mine......now its the big winter jobs !

rip the vynal off your dash.....use goo gone or other to remove the old glue......then use contact cement with new vynal.

now i gotta go finish a house boat ......i might stay out there tonight.....heh heh heh

oldjeep

Admiral

My 3 boat related winter projects are:
1) rebuild a 2006 ELPTO 50 HP that ate a piston (dads "old" pontoon motor). Block is at the shop getting a new sleeve, new piston, rings and seals are sitting on the workbench just waiting.
PA240004.JPG

2) Disassemble and re-do the seals in my upper and lower units. Still not sure where the gear oil leaked out, but bought full gasket and seal kits so it'll all get redone. All sitting on the other bench waiting for some attention.

PA240002.JPG

3) Bellows replacement - this will likely wait till early spring since the boat is in the garage up at the cabin.

Other than that I've got a ton of work to do on the streetrod, the pit bike needs some carb work and the jeep needs some body work done on the windshield frame.

PA240001.JPG

PA240003.JPG

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Wow guys....thanks for taking this thread into a completely different direction from what I posted. Enjoy your fall and winters....

Hey! We just wanted you to feel like you were the only one!;)

I agree with the contact cement for the vinyl, but it may be difficult for you to do since the temperature of the glue, vinyl, the surface you're working on, and the air temp where you're working on it all have to be over 65*F with no open flames and good ventilation.

oldjeep

Admiral

Cross off project #1, the 50 is all back together and hopefully will start right up next spring. I must say that Mercury has some of the nicest wiring I've ever seen. All perfectly color coded, don't even need to open the manual to figure out how to reconnect the 20 or so wires in the powerhead.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I hopefully have 2-3 more trips before I put her up then I need to decide if I want to tear the front deck off to fix a small leak, it is an aluminum boat with the foam removed so not fixxing it isn't bad.

I also found out yesterday that I may be moving the shop over Christmas break so that would make the decision for me, gotta get ready to run 30 boats a day, YE HAW!!!

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had success using carpet seam adhesive tape (rated for outdoor use) when reattaching some loose carpet to the side of my hull. I'd first tried 3M spray adhesive but it came loose. The carpet tape holds great. I bought the tape at Home Depot.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer

found myself a nice evinrude 235 for cheap , so am going to have a look at "piston damage in cyc 3" could be a big pile of junk ,but I'll double my money on the t+t that's on it ,also the stainless prop will fetch me more money. Owner wanted it gone, was happy enough with what i offered , so i get a winter project to keep me occupied and he gets some cash for something lying around taking up space in his garage for years.

Philster

Captain

To glue this to that, check here: http://www.glueinfo.com/

For gluing vinyl to fiberglass that will be weathered, the recommended product is Vinyl & Leather Mender adhesive from Super Glue Corp.

My projects: building a fourth bedroom for my daughter. Going to boat shows and trying to land myself a deal/boat before spring.

I've got miscellaneous house projects lined up. For boating, still need to winterize the 17' Alumacraft. Still striper fishing to be done.

Scarab is covered, winterized and sitting in the driveway.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I've gotta finish my basement. That should keep me busy for a few months! Last ride in the boat will be this weekend then I've gotta find some off-site storage for cuz I need it out of hair for the winter.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

I've gotta finish my basement. That should keep me busy for a few months! Last ride in the boat will be this weekend then I've gotta find some off-site storage for cuz I need it out of hair for the winter.

Dont forget, you also need to "assist" in an SS resto this winter! It MUST be ready for the April splash!!!

kobe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just put mine away for the winter also, time to get the sleds geared up.

Winter Project list... it's a doozey this year!

Got to finish my cabin, just finished the shingles this weekend. gotta get the eaves closed in and doors and windows done before the snow flies.once that is done we can pick away at the interior and finish the exterior in the fall.
cabin.jpg

House List
Remodel - Laundry Room - new flooring
Remodel - Main Bathroom - other two bathrooms done this spring
New hardwood in sitting room and all of upstairs! damn carpet got to go.

boykster

Cadet

Here's what I've used to glue vinyl down in the past....cleaning up all surfaces first is a must though

http://veada.com/product/11-Marine-...ay-Adhesive-Marine-Upholstery-Spray-Glue.html

My winter project is to re-build and re-upholster the entire cockpit of my '89 SeaRay 250 SunDancer....anything that has vinyl on it has been taken off the boat and transported to my house to be rebuild and re-vinyled. Fun fun