Water Flow Questions

tony4pyro

Cadet
1986 Force 125HP--I was getting little water flow and lots of steam the first time I had it on the water. Took off the lower unit, replaced the impeller, rest of pump and parts around it looked great. Still just spitting water. Took off the water plates on the engine to check for gunk--none there. Took off thermostat. Looked questionable so I tried running it with the thermostat out. The flow was a little better, maybe more out the exhaust snoot (which is normal, right?). My question is, what more could I possibly do to get better water flow from this motor, or am I getting enough. It is hard to describe how much is coming out over the internet so here goes. It is definitely not a steady **** stream, but more than a little spitting--somewhere in between. I just do not want to risk overheating the engine because the compression and everything else is rock solid.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water Flow Questions

replace the missing thermostat that is a huge no no on outboards .. if u are scared for your water pressure get a gauge i found mine on ebay with everything i needed for 20 buxs shipped it was new old stock .. worth its weight in gold to me since i didnt what to make a tell tail hole on my 50 horse .. from what i am told there is no pisser on these engines of this year but people do make there own .i just felt that it would take water away from the engine by adding a pisser .. this is why i bought the water pressure gauge i can tell what is happening at all times right from the drivers seat ..very easy and straight forward too hook up .