Water drip from lower shift cable

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 2000 Searay with alpha one gen 2 drive. Lately I have noticed a drip of water every 3 or 4 seconds from the lower shift cable threaded end at shift plate. This is while running on muffs. I would appreciate help troubleshooting this issue. Also, is this an indication of a serious problem ? Never heard of this before.
thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the O ring for the water inlet is missing ,dislodged or damaged. pull the drive to inspect

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the information. I changed out the mating gasket and o ring. Unfortunately I still have the same problem. I did notice corrosion where the o ring seats. I cleaned that up fairly well. Any suggestions would help. thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
post some clear pics, Why am I thinking someone took the outdrive off with a prybar?

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Could also be exaust gasses pressurizing the shift cavity through a bad shift shaft bushing in the bellhousing too I think.

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the replies. I tried this again, but I worked on cleaning the mating surfaces completely, but mainly I used some marine tex to fill corrosion pits where the o ring sits, and made the seating surface smooth.
Knock on wood, it seems to be ok now. I did not get pics before this last procedure. I will run it more and report back. thanks