Water drip (1990 4.3L Alpha One Gen I)

hal2814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1990 4.3L Alpha One Gen I.

While I was dusting off the moth balls and getting the boat ready to go out next week, I noticed a drip I've never seen before. I couldn't get a good look at where it's coming from on the engine but it's dripping down near the starter. It's a very slow drip (about 2 drips per minute) but it's consistent so I figure I had better find it now. The oil looks good and the engine runs fine so I'm hoping it's just an external leak in the manifolds or a hose of some sort along there. Are there any usual suspects I should look for? What's the best way to go about finding the source of a leak on the back half of the engine? Space is kind of tight back there.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water drip (1990 4.3L Alpha One Gen I)

You will need to get in there with a flashlight & mirror & look......;)
Or you will need to pull the riser & look for the telltale rust trickle.....
Hopefully it is not one of the core plugs that is located under the fly wheel......
Was it winterized properly?......:confused:

hal2814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, it was winterized properly. I used the wire brush on all the petcock holes (all 4 of them) and drained the water pump hose and PS hose per the manual.

Bondo

Staff member

You will need to get in there with a flashlight & mirror & look......

Ayuh,..... There's really only 1 way,......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Another trick I have found is these little digital cameras. Especially if you can get some light down under everyting too. With flash, the pictures are usually to blurry to see what was going on.