water cover leaking!!! 1988 28spl....Please Help

stevo10081984

Seaman Apprentice
ok i need a little guidance, i just replaced the thermostat, i ordered a gasket for the water cover, it came with 2 i was told to use 1...now its leaking, my question is what should i do?...is there a sequence to tightening the bolts?, and what torque? my shop manual is useless to me...im going to go rent a inch lbs torque wrench, as mine is only foot lbs...hopefully some will chime in, also i have some gasket shellac kicking around somewhere should i use it?

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: water cover leaking!!! 1988 28spl....Please Help

Were the mating surfaces clean? Sometimes it helps to take the thermostat cover and resurface the mating surface.
Take a piece of 400 grit wet/dry sand paper.
Wet the paper and do figure 8's with the cover. Need to be on a very flat surface. Dozen or so passes should get to shiny metal.

I looked your motor up and you are actually replacing the water jacket cover gasket, correct? In that case you need you to use a product made by BRP for sealing gaskets. It comes in a can, with a brush attached to the lid. Put a light coat of sealant on both sides of the gasket, tighten down the bolts with a driver handle, don't use a socket wrench. Tighten until natural resistance make you stop turning, should be about 75-80 Inch/pounds.

Sorry for the confusion.

Attachments

• 28spl2.jpg
    28spl2.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just answered your other post? You only need one

stevo10081984

Seaman Apprentice

thanks dg...thats what i needed to know...and my bad about 2 post i paniced...1 was b4/after and 1 was strictly after