water coming out near spark plug

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,

I have a 1980 mercruiser 140. I have water at a steady trickle comeing out at or near the number 4 spark plug. There is no water in the oil. ( it is normal colored and not milky or white.) What are the possibilites this could be and possible fixes. Any ideas are appreciated. Also is it ok to operate untill I get the issue fixed.

Thanks,

gshldon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: water coming out near spark plug

First off, I would not run the boat until you figure out where the water is coming from and get it fixed..Does the block appear to be cracked around where the water is coming from..Run your fingure around to see if it appears sharped edged or if you can see and signs of cracks...I would start there and track were the water is coming from...could be something simple to fix or not....depending on where it is leaking from

Good Luck and Happy boating

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

hi, i would not run it either other then in the drive way while finding the leak a cracked block or head ouch! :( you really need to find it i guess it could be a frost plug too but not seeing it cant be sure heck even maybe the mani? don't risk needing a tow or worse by using it like it is :redface:

Bondo

Staff member

I have water at a steady trickle comeing out at or near the number 4 spark plug.

Ayuh,... You have to be alot more Exact than That.....

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The leak appears to be coming right out of the spark plug. I know that is all but impossible. Its hard to tell if there is a sharp edge because there is corrosion all around where the spark plug is. Its so corordid that the spark plug was almost stuck and broke when I took it out. The plug itself looks good just like the other plugs.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Happens on v8 heads too. The head has a corroded hole in the water jacket just above the spark plug.There is no fix for this problem except head replacement.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

if thats what it is ,wont hurt to run it?

Pupek

Cadet

I had exactly the same problem on my Merc 3.0 - turned out to be the water jacket rusted through to the outside. Do you see any change in performance? Mine caused the engine to bog out because the spark plug got wet and bypassed the contacts in the cylinder. A new head is needed to fix this.

proxyx

Banned

I've heard of some skilled guys repairing issues like that (welding, although welding cast iron not an easy task) if there's enough material to weld onto and installing new spark plug socket, gotta call around and check engine re-builders, I know here I wouldn't have too much trouble finding one... depending how serious of course

choochooharley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have not seen anything that i would see as a lag or lack of performance. It will get up and go about 35 or 40 mph according to the fish finder, and it does not miss and starts fairly easily with a pump or two of the throttle. Of course I just aqcuired the boat last year when my grandfather passed away and it was in pieces when I got it so I am slowly tring to find out what all was wrong with it. It started out with just the outdrive and has progressed from there. Thanks to all for the posts and responses it sounds like the general consensous is a new head.

dazk14

Ensign

If, big if...You can get the area cleaned up spotless... then I have seen a Marine Tex repair outlive the balance of the motor.

Use the grey and mix the entire container to ensure you have the perfect mixture ratio.

good luck