Washing motor?

arnieb

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br /><br />I have some oil and fuel under the cowl of my 1975 70hp Evinrude. I would like to take it to the car wash and motor wash it. Good idea or are there things on the motor that should not get wet?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Arnie

timmathis

Lieutenant
Re: Washing motor?

Do it with care If it has one. The distributor may have a vent in it you do not want water in it.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Bad idea in my book. Not only can you flood the elctronics but you could get water in the carbs and then the engine. Outboards don't like water. I had one blow from drinkin water.<br /><br />Do the same thing by hand where you have control on where the water goes.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

formula 88 works great for this. get a 99cent paint brush cut the brisles, spray the engine, scrub with the brush, rinse.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

D. - Formula 88 is a degreaser and found at most hardware or auto parts stores (Home Depot has it). Use it in a spray bottle plus a brush to do the cleaning. Follow with the hose with a spray nozzle and follow that with a shot of WD 40.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks SoLittle, I'll look for it. I've tried some other degreasers and it really didn't work all that well - maybe I was being to conservative. <br /><br />My big old Johnson V6 runs beautifully with "normal" fuel usage (meaning it's a big old gas hog), but it gets oily and messy under the hood. I don't know why, I can't see any obvious leaks and it starts, idles and runs fine.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'd rather have em a bit oily & greasy than clean & rusty.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my first qt of Formula 88 i got a Lowes for $6-7. then found it a Advanced Auto parts for $6.00 gal. i use it on every thing. it even works in the clothes washer to get the greasy, oilly residue out of the mechanic clothes, you can also wash shop rags.