Was a weird problem, or maybe it wasn't??

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Background on me.....
Chrysler 4 wheel land cruisers tech/service manager for 25 years. Did my share of "bringing back to life", Jeeps, trucks, bikes, houses, sail and motor boats, so I'm not a "newbie" when it comes to fixing things.
Bought a 1991 "Monark 14' fishing boat for fishing @ NEPa.(got a 18' I use on the St. Lawrence), (you know "if 1 boat is good, 2 must be GREAT)!!.
This has a 1997 25 HP Mariner hanging off the back.
Been sitting 2 years outside under cover, got a great deal on it.
Got it home, tossed the gas in the plastic tank, filter on the motor.
Fresh gas, (with Sea Foam in it), plugs, new battery and it fired!
Shoot! No water pumping.... Oh well.
Ordered impellar, seals, thermo and gaskets, (I'm VERY ANAL about my "toys").
Install all, (easiest one I ever did)??!!
("Hmmm, old impellar looks good????? almost new)????!!!!
While thermo is out, back flush engine.
Fire it up, still no flow out the "pee hole"
WTF????
Take the thermo out, still nothing.
Pull the hose from the thermo housing to the bottom of the cowling.
Nice flow at idle!
It's PLUG solid with mud and ???
Clean it out, all's well!
I had this on a Suzuki off road bike I raced years ago.
Bike would run, then quit, a bit late re-fire. I thought it was spark issue, but grease. mud clogged the gas tank vent hose that goes into the steering tube.
I thought this was weird problem, a heads up,
if you get a motor that isn't pumping maybe look at that tube, bugs must have tried to move in!
Joe
See! You can teach OLD dawgs new tricks!!

tpenfield

Staff member
Actually a common problem with outboard motors , , . particularly the smaller motors. I usually carry a foot length of weed whacker line to 'un-plug' the pee hole. Fortunately there are other pee-holes inside the drive shaft housing where the exhaust flows down to the lower unit, etc, so the odds are that the engine is still flowing water even if the visible hole gets plugged.

At one point I actually drilled out the hole on my Mercury 7.5 because it was getting plugged so often with sea weed bits.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow!
I had never seem that before!
I have a habit when I fire up my outboards to see if they "pee" and ever once in a while check them on the water.
On my 18" Grumman I actually wired in a temp gauge and will check that, (anal mechanic)!
Joe