Warning Horn, Light Upgrade

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since my electrical skills are minimal (I tend to fry any component that is fryable.) How can an LED light be incorporated into the warning horn? My horn works ok, but is barely audible at idle. It would be nice to have a small LED light on my dash panel that would flash to correspond with the horn signal. I know if it goes of during cruise, I would be very lucky to hear it.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Warning Horn, Light Upgrade

You can get the LED light and bias kit at radio shack.
wire it in series with your warning horn.,.

when your temp switch shorts and applies a ground the horn and light will sound.

I installed a forklift backup alarm in my CC, definately hear that one.

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks that's good, but what wires should it connect too? Remember I'm electronically challenged! The horn has more than two wires!!!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The three wire self testing horn has a black wire that is just for the test circuit. Most of them have spade connectors for the primary wires and they are the ones to which to connect your secondary alarm. Whatever system you use, the positive voltage will come from the 'A' connector via a purple wire on the ignition switch and the ground will come from the tan wire.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you are electrically challenged I suggest you not do it. You do not wire anything in series with the temp switch. An LED will not flash wired in series with the temp switch since the switch applies ground to the circuit. An LED requires +12V when the ignition switch is on. The other terminal connects to the tan wire on the temp switch. If an overheat occurs, the switch closes, applies ground, and the LED lights. It will not flash.

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might be the best advice Silvertip, I know what 12v source can do if applied to the brown wire. FRY city!!

If I were to connect to the purple and black wire it would light constantly, right. I think your advice is the best for me....

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When the warning horns are new, they are fairly loud. Corrosion eventually quiets and then silences them. Replacement is an option.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have a "warning horn"(high pitch scream) on my 2nd bilge pump,the second is higher than the first so it doesn't go off when it rains,but I installed a light on the dash too and found you could't see in sunlight.
I would get a new horn if I were you.