Warning from IL Conservation Police about my trolling motor battery

frosteeone

Seaman
Getting ready to go camping this week and finally had a chance to get my boat out for spin on a small lake near my house (Horseshoe Lake, Madison County IL), anywayz....... I just trailered it and was approached by a couple Conv. Police who immediately started looking thru my boat and ran down the list of safety item(life preserver, fire extinguisher, whistle, fishing license, yada) when they came upon my battery set up for my trolling motor. -- They gave me two warnings (no ticket, Thank God), 1)No cap on the positive terminal on the battery; 2)Trolling Motor not secured. <br /><br />Has anyone ever come upon the 2nd one? -- My battery sits on the floor between the back seat and the middle bench on my small 14' Lowe V shaped boat. -- It was far away from the gas tank (which sits next to the motor and behind the back seat) and really couldn't move too far because the area isnt' that big. <br /><br />I'm happy that I didn't get a ticket and don't mind the guys doing their job and all, but I was a little peeved that he told me, at least twice, that he was doing me a favor and letting me off with a warning, instead of a $75 fine for each offense. Also, it's never a good time (buzz kill) when you have "johnny law" going thru your s--t.<br /><br />I'm sure I can find a cover somewhere for terminal, although I've never seen one for a battery with the two long rods out of the side of it. And I guess I need to extend the trolling motor wires so I can get it to the storage area under the middle seat. Does anyone know what guage wire those older Shakepeare trolling motors are?<br /><br />Thanks and just wanted to share my experience. --Be careful out there in Illinois, they're watching you closely..... ;)

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Warning from IL Conservation Police about my trolling motor battery

why were they checking your fishing license if you were just trailering your boat and not on the water actually fishing?????

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

And who says you're going to fish anyway? I just got back from Carlyle Lake yesterday and it makes me wonder what the heck they are up to, although I had no problem. How far is Horseshoe Lake from St. Louis? Looking to try something new and can you tell a bit about the lake?

frosteeone

Seaman

rc/ricky:'<br /><br />i dunno why they were checking my license. just bein' difficult.<br /><br />horseshoe. right off 64, heading towards st. louis, take 255 north to horseshoe lake road. The only reason I like it is because it's close to home. It's a very shallow lake. like 3 foot to 5 foot. So obviously, it warms up rather quickly. Nice place to make a run with the boat tho. <br /><br />Thanks for your input. I think they were just messin' with me because it was a slow day. (*******s).

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would tell them to kiss my a** and find a different lake to go to. They shouldn't hassle you like that before you even get in the water, up here the DNR are pretty nice folks.

hack_62863

Cadet

the law in illinois says that the batteries have to be tied down or in a battery box also the positive has to be covered check with the dnr to see if you can get by putting your battery in a plastic battery box. i have 3 batteries in my boat and they are all bolted down and covered

the hangman

Cadet

I have a strap and a couple little metal brackets that came with my boat. How do you attach the brackets in a fiberglass boat - do you screw them down into the bottom of the boat?

hack_62863

Cadet

one other thing you might remember is to never let a game warden in your boat unless you have a life jacket for him

beermunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like you had some cops that ran out of donuts...

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Red 10---your MN DNR folks are nice as long as you are in MN.<br /><br />When they come to Illinois for Duck season, they are real jerks.<br /><br />Yes, we get DNR from MN, Mich., MO, etc. all wanting us to pull down our waders and bend over.<br /><br />Sometimes they don't know what county they are actually in, so we get out of a few tickets now and then.

richstick

Cadet

Hey, give them DNR guys a break, they are doing their job keeping our waterways clean and able to be enjoyed by our kids.

buckeye_sean

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a powertrip issue - that or the last guy they ran into was a real jerk.<br /><br />Around here (Central Ohio), the Rangers ask you if you want a complimentary inspection at the launch. They are also quick to point out it is a voluntary inspection and that no fines would come of it if you were lacking anything. They just want everyone to have the proper safety equipment and such.<br /><br />I've got no problem with the rangers keeping an eye on anyone suspicous or acting irresponsibly on the water. You never know, one of those jerks may wind up hurting you or someone you know.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

They sound as bad as the Water Patrol on Lake of the Ozarks. Those guys are crazy... Talk about power trippin'...