warm water at tell tale

haymon15

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 1989 50 horse force outboard. I recently changed water pump and have gotten it started and the water exiting the tell tale is rather warm to the touch and the head is also warm to the touch. I havent got my warming horn working yet and havent had motor out of idle.
thanks
Ken

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: warm water at tell tale

Are you using muffs or a 50 gallon barrel. Muffs generally only work about half as well as the barrel
or on the lake. If your able to touch the motor and not get a nasty burn then what you described may be normal.

wickware

Lieutenant

Use an ohm meter from your temp sensor to ground for continuity (block, etc) for a quick check to see if you would get an alarm. My understanding is the sensor provides a ground for the 12V alarm, horn, etc to go off with 12V connected on the positive side. Am I correct in this test and advising this test??

I have not had worm/hot water I c/n keep my hand in but I can only feel the head a few seconds (2-3). jow

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

The water coming from mine is also warm, not hot, Its been like that since I installed the telltale. Just figured its normal.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The sensor is kinda like an adjustable light switch.The hotter the motor the more it grounds out and the stronger the buzz.
It should be hot but not so hot it burns.
Take an aligator clip test lead and ground out the ORANGE connector on the wiring harness,key on.
That should make the buzzie go off.J