Want to rebuild my Hydrocycle

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
So I figure it's finely time to rebuild my '68 hydrocycle over the winter. As you can see in the pics it looks like it basically has a top part and a bottom part riveted together. I have never had it in the water but looking at all the silicone along the rivet joint I assume it leaks like a sieve. It's also weighs a ton so I think the foam is waterlogged hence the reason for the rebuild.

I've not opened up a boat before but would it be safe to assume I need to drill out the 200 or so rivets and then separate the two halves, remove the foam, insert some type of new flotation inside and then rivet it back together? How do I ensure that the new seam does not leak? Any ideas? Is there a specific method to do this?

Thanks for any help. Steve.

IMG_1199.jpgIMG_1198.jpgIMG_1200.jpgIMG_1194.jpgIMG_1195.jpg

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Want to rebuild my Hydrocycle

A few more pics...

Attachments

• Wave riding.jpg
    Wave riding.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1196.jpg
    IMG_1196.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0
  • August 1968 Popular Science.jpg
    August 1968 Popular Science.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 0
  • Sales Brochure.jpg
    Sales Brochure.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 0

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like you can just drill out those rivets and pull the rubrauil off to seperate the halves. As for seling the joint you can put some sealer under the rubrail when you put it back together. I'm not sure what kind of joint that is. Super cool boat. It's like an outboard jetski!

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

That is really cool - The first "jet ski" without a jet. Ho many hp is it rated for?

LK

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

That thing would fly with 35hp!

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hydrocycles are pretty cool toys... Not the most practical things on the water, but cool looking and tons of fun! This should be a fun restoration!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Jumping the wake and the prop outa the water could destroy the engine by over revving! Not sure if I wanna try that!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

So my concern with drilling out all the rivets and separating the halves is that that rivet joint is underwater when at rest. SO how does one ensure it is waterproof when putting it back together? I guess I could use some 4200 or 5200 in the joint when putting it back together but if that's all I'm going to use why not just put it on now on the outside and save all the work?

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

yeah i'd 4200 the rivets and the joint before putting it back together. I would definitely separate the halves and replace the foam. It's likely waterlogged

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Will 4200 be enough below the water level? It'd have to be a perfect job if that's all I'm relying on to keep it floating! And this is probably a crazy idea but has anyone ever used a pile of 2L pop bottles for flotation instead of foam? as they weigh a lot less and can never waterlog? And are cheap.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hey Steve,
Cool outboard driven jet ski...

Couple things I've read about...pool noodles, blue or pink foam, or even laundry detergent jugs, along with the usual pour in foam, that I believe it was oops!, that figured a way to seal it with plastic sheeting of some kind...

Welcome and Best of Luck,
GT1M

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi bud......nice bit of flesh chewing fun there.....

35 mph on that will feel like 90 !!!

im betting that the foam in the hull is also used for anti crush and additonal hull support......so the pop bottle thing might not be the best in your case.
one of the reasons we (the iboats gang) has shyed away from soda bottles is becasue there is no way to fasten them to one area.....

that means every time you hit a wave they will flop around in the hull. pool noodles are far quieter.
however in your exact case...i would foam it.....
and if you want to foam it with out worry ever of the foam getting wet and still get the anti crush benefits of the foam, click the link in my sig and go here...
foaming a hull without worry of water intrusion....post 4158 pg 167

as far as sealing the seam......42 or 52 when you put it back together is just fine......just be liberal with the stuff.