Want to put new indoor/outdoor carpet and possibly paint boat

christal

Seaman Apprentice
I want to put new carpet in my 1970 Ranger Runabout and possibly paint her as well, but how would i go about doing this?.....new to boating in anything bigger than a 12ft aluminum jonboat so any insight would be appriciated

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Want to put new indoor/outdoor carpet and possibly paint boat

Those are cool boats. You need to remove floor boards. Mine were screwed down. After they're out, remove the carpet from the boards. They should just peel off. If you have excess glue, that should scrape off.

Roll out carpet on the floor with nap down. Place boards on the carpet. Trace around the board with a marker about 2" bigger than the true edge. Cut out your piece. At this point, pick boards back up, apply adhesive of choice on board and lay back down on th carpet. If your carpet has a pattern, line it up now. Start with your longest edge and begin folding over. Get a capable stapler and use corrosion resistant staples (stainless) to attach. Some corners may need a cut.

christal

Seaman Apprentice

Ummm, okay, somewhere along the way I have made some sort of mistake on labeling the boat, title calls her a runabout, the guy i bought her off of said she was a Ranger....this boat is 16ft and completely fiberglass, inside and out. what do i have to do to paint her, I am thinking i should do that before laying any carpet, that way if the paint drips it won't get on the carpet.

scca vette

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why does it need painted? Do you not like the color or is it just dull?

christal

Seaman Apprentice

The paint has faded, and some area's are chipping....I believe it has been painted before because the area's where paint has chipped away there is a real pretty deeper shade of blue, and that is what I would like it all to look like

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat I looked up was aluminum. Sorry about that. My method won't work for you. Some advice from fiberglass owners should be on the way.