Want to do transom

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1983 Rinker. My transom is still kind of strong. I just have a little rotten wood on one side. Can I just replace that or do I do the whole thing?? Or can I just put a aluminum 1/4" plate attatched to the transom in shape of the transom?

Attachments

• Boat Transom and skag 005.jpg
    Boat Transom and skag 005.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Transom and skag 006.jpg
    Boat Transom and skag 006.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Transom and skag 009.jpg
    Boat Transom and skag 009.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat july 2010.jpg
    boat july 2010.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0

drewpster

Commander
Re: Want to do transom

This question comes up all the time. Unfortunately, if your transom is rotten the only safe option is to replace it correctly. Adding plates or attempting to reinforce it is a gamble at best.
The work it will take to replace half of it is the same as the work to replace all of it. So you may as well do the whole thing and do it right.
There are other things to consider as well. The majority of boats needing a new transom will also need structural work under the deck. It is likely that the stringers and possibly the deck core itself will need repairs.
I know it is hard to face, I had a hard time accepting it myself. However if you go ahead, bite the bullet, and get it fixed right, you end up with a boat better than new.

Then, you can justify a new engine, controls, sounder, lighting, electrical, bells whistles, rocket launchers, sirens.........:p

Make it happen Captain!

enjoy
drewp

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I agree with Drewp on this.

Looking at your pics both port and starboard of your upper mounts are starting to fail. ( I could be wrong here..its holloween and im one eyed ).

seriously..your transom has indications of silicone fills and other fix-it-up for now things.

Now is the time to remove your unit and start Looking very closely at what you have here. I would bet your into a trans job. At least an upper trans/glass job.

Or you can leave it alone.. just dont put in reverse with much power IMHO.

YD.

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya, it just a few little things up top. Its still strong with no flex. Im going to reglass the a few spots and seal everything up. There maybe 1 foot of wet wood. So i my remove that and redue that spot.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Rot is like cancer and will spread. You need to get it all out or you'll be sealing wet/rot in. That transom has already been band-aided. I'd replace it. Looks like a nice little boat that would be worth fixing properly.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

Rot is like cancer and will spread. You need to get it all out or you'll be sealing wet/rot in. That transom has already been band-aided. I'd replace it. Looks like a nice little boat that would be worth fixing properly.

X2, no need to sweep more dirt under the carpet...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Three Words

Replace it ALL!!!!

I'm just sayin...:D

drewpster

Commander

Rotten boats can be dangerous. I do not mean to question your judgment, if you say it can be repaired safely, then ok. But be advised that old fiberglass boats do not last forever. A seemingly solid part can be weaker than you estimate. Its not about making the boat last forever or having a show boat, its about safety. So please take a close look at what you are working on. Failures do occur and the risks can be very high.

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the info. I let you all know when I start. And I my need your help.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Get the motor off, the silicone dug out, trim pieces off, and start digging around a bit you may find its alot worse than you think. Mine was total mush and I didn't even know it. I still cant believe how lucky I was that there was never a major accident:eek: After the new transom it was solid as a rock and never leaked a drop.

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will do, I never had a water prob. Less then 1 cup after all day boating. I will repair it this winter.

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got an old boat for next to nothing and I was excited to "feel" that the transom was solid. I joined iboats and asked a bunch of questions, just as you have, and my exciting new (old) boat has turned into a complete resto.

Once I peeled a bit of the fibreglass off to have a closer peak at the transom, it showed how bad it was rotted. And once I started digging out the old transom......OMG......I was so glad I listened to these guys.......it was totally rotted...BUT...when I first got it, it "felt" solid.

I would replace the complete transom...........(then, on to the stringers..teehee :p)

Good luck! And trust these guys!

1983rinker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took motor off today. I will remove my bracket and trim on friday. I post photos then. Thanks all so much for you help and info.