Want to Build T-Top of Center Console??...Help

rendog3

Cadet
I am a new owner to a 1990 18' Wellcraft center console. The boat is great, can't wait to catch a few stripers next spring. Highest on my wish list is a T-Top, but I don't have the cash to purchase one($1100), but would think it to be relatively easy to fabricate myself. Has anyone done this, or does anyone have plans for this?? I would prefer not to have to weld aluminum, but can't find all the right fittings I would need. If anyone has any ideas on this, it would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Tight Lines, and Hold Fast!!!!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Want to Build T-Top of Center Console??...Help

Overtons has a universal T-Top for about $500. Otherwise, you would need to get a bunch of aluminum tubing, learn how to TIG weld, get a TIG welding rig, and as you can see, that $500 starts to look a lot cheaper.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

I have been considering possibly building a T-T0p over the console of my new 19' Carolina Skiff, and have been wondering if it would be feasable to build it out of PVC pipe??<br />Any thoughts. :D :D :D :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

PVC? :confused: Why not? :confused: Try it Lakeman... You be the gunnea pig and let us know how it works out... :p

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

lakeman, be carefull with that pvc pipe idea. because if it comes loose while your cruising :eek: it can really put a hurting on someone, think about it! :D

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

I have changed my mind for now. I have a bimini top, but when you are fishing in the sun, you want some shade, but the bimini is always in the way, and makes it hard to set the hook. My buddy has got a couple patio table umberellas (which he says are cheap, easy to use, and really work well, and can be mounted where they do not interfere with hook setting), and mounted pieces of PVC pipe around on his personal craft to set the umberellas in. He says they are not in the way, you can put them where you want them, and they are easy and fast to set up and take down. With his T-top on the company (city) boat a large boston whaler police boat, he says you are very seldom in the shade while on the lake (only when the sun is directly overhead). He much prefers his umberellas he uses on his personal boat to the T-top on the company,(city) boat (he is the Super at the power plant on our lake, and is the person who is in charge of the lake, which the lake and power plant is owned by the city of Abbeville, SC, and we the property owners own our lake front property around the lake (the city has sold off the lakefront lots). So I think I will experiment with the umberella idea, maybe just getting one to start with, and install a few pieces of PVC around the boat to stick the umberella pole in. I can still use the bimini when pleasure cruising, and the brellas for fishing. :D :D :D :D