Want to add a 10 micron

jp10

Seaman
I figure to save cost on expensive HPDI fuel filters and add an extra layer of fuel protection, I will to add a screw-on 10 micron fuel/water seperator between the primer bulb and engine. The motor is a 2005 175 HP HPDI. The filters come in 2 sizes, 3/8" and 1/4" fuel line connections. Is one size the Yamaha standard or does it vary by boat?
Thanks all,
-JP

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Want to add a 10 micron

You would need the 3/8 one. Usually they are installed between the primer bulb and the tank but it would work between the bulb and the motor.

whistler66

Seaman

I have been looking into adding the same option. I'm in the looking mode for a 40-50 hp 4 stroke as a main motor however due to some water restrictions I operate on I have an under 10HP for those occasions. On the filter housings there are 2 inlets and 2 outlets. I will probably wind up with a different brand new motor than my old one thus another tank. Can I run 2 motors with 2 remote tanks of different brands off one filter assembly?

jp10

Seaman

I just figured installing it after the bulb would make it easier to prime. Any special screws or sealer/tape that should be used to attach the housing? I'm in salt water on the eastern shore of Maryland so I will go with the stainless housing.

jp10

Seaman

Would I simply measure the diameter of my fule line to be sure? If so, is it inside diameter or outside?

jp10

Seaman

Racor is expensive, I like the design and price of GLM Marine. $6 replacements. HPDI, would you agree with the advice of 3/8" NPT for an HPDI?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I just figured installing it after the bulb would make it easier to prime. Any special screws or sealer/tape that should be used to attach the housing? I'm in salt water on the eastern shore of Maryland so I will go with the stainless housing.

Nothing special needed except stainless clamps. The only time you would have trouble priming it is the very first time when you have to fill the canister. But if you holf the primer bulb vertically with the arrow pointing up, its no problem. The rest of the times it like the filter isn't even there.

HPDI

Cadet

Racor is expensive, I like the design and price of GLM Marine. $6 replacements. HPDI, would you agree with the advice of 3/8" NPT for an HPDI?

Thanks for the tip about GLM Marine. I honestly don't recall the size of the NPT, and my boat is a few miles away. Sorry.

HPDI

Cadet

Would it be beneficial to go with 2-micron filtration over 10-micron? Are there any negatives like reduced flow?

The flow rate is the same for both filters. But the 2-micron will obviously foul faster. Yamaha recommends a 10-micron. I went with the 2-micron because I'm trying to protect my VST filter.

You mean before the primer bulb, (Should go: Tank (antisyphon valve), Water seperator, primer bulb (which technically should be outside the outboard in the well deck area) engine. If you are running 2 tanks, water seperator should go after selector "Y". Make sure you make good air tight connections, I recommend OMC gasket sealing compound on barbed threads barbed connectors, no teflon. To make sure you do it right use proper sized "Oeticker" clamps. A water seperator is going to add some slight fuel restiction, so you might want to check fuel restiction afterwards. When testing the boat side of the fuel system I have used an electric fuel pump from NAPA or Autozone approximately 6-8 psi, and hooked up a vacuum gauge inline and attached it to the low pressure fuel pump connector and routed the exit end of the fuel hose back to the tank, this will simulate a WOT low pressure fuel pump draw without taking the boat underway.

JPritch

Seaman Apprentice

The flow rate is the same for both filters. But the 2-micron will obviously foul faster. Yamaha recommends a 10-micron. I went with the 2-micron because I'm trying to protect my VST filter.

Thanks for the info.