Wall of Shame

Dexters dad

Cadet
OK I admit to being a bone head and deserving of being on the wall of shame but I still need help.

Took my son on a last minute fishing outing and forgot to put the transom plug in -- Mercrusier 4.3 --2003 Trophy 2052.

At first not much happened because the oil drain hose prevented great quantities of water from entering the bilge. When the bilge pump started automatically I knew something was wrong. I opened the engine cover and a white froth was pouring out the the valve cover vents connected to the carb. -- one had fallen off and was depositing it's goo onto the alternator.

As the boat had traveled through the water the transom oil drain hose extended and was cut off by the prop and sea water was sucked into the engine; hence the white goo.

Fortunately we were within a few hundred yards of the launch ramp. I estimate the engine had been running at idle for approx. 30 min. after the hose was cut as we were drift fishing. Once back into the dock there was still some untainted oil on the dip-stick but it was reading way over filled -- I suspect due to the intrusion of sea water.

At no time did the engine temp gauge show overheating nor were there any bad sounds coming from the engine -- it ran smoothly until shut off at the ramp.

I will gladly accept any serious scoldings and admonitions due me-- I am already too embarrassed and upset to be humiliated any further -- in exchange for any advice which may be offered. I know there must have been some other bone head somewhere who has committed the same egregious error. The only good news in this story is that we weren't ten miles off shore. I humbly await your wisdom.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Wall of Shame

I suspect due to the intrusion of sea water.

Ayuh,.... Sea water, as in Saltwater,..??

Get the oil changed NOW,... Right NOW, 'n Run it....

Get it flushed out, 'n run it with fresh oil in it...

tpenfield

Staff member

Well Done . . . :eek:

I am assuming salt water . . . are there any lakes in Delaware?

I'd do as Bond-o suggests on the oil changing and flushing, etc. I'm still wondering about the effects of salt exposure on the inside of the engine. It may be OK . . . time will tell.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

As the boat had traveled through the water the transom oil drain hose extended and was cut off by the prop and sea water was sucked into the engine; hence the white goo.

So are you saying you think the oil pump "sucked" water into yhe engine through the drain hose?

Dexters dad

Cadet

A revision of my last post -- I'm not sure if it was the pump or the oil got into the engine by some other process. Most likely it entered via the cut off oil drain tube as the engine was running -- the oil was emulsified into the consistency of sticky mayonnaise.

That's what seemed to happen -- the drain hose was cut off by the prop

Ouch, Sorry for your pain.
If I were you i'd go pick up enough oil and filters for at least three oil changes. First thing I would do is pull the valve covers and clean all the gunk out (this is were most of the stuff will collect), next i would do the first oil change: (use a thin oil for this, like a 0w) add a quart of methyl hydrate to your oil to alow all the water to be mixed and picked up by your oil, run it up to operating temp on the muffs, then drain it out. Second oil change: just straight oil no methyl hydrate, take your boat out for a hour or so then bring her back in and change the oil again.

Might as well just use cheap oil fot the fist couple oil changes.

Hope everything works out for you.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it was saltwater you need to do whatever you were going to do Immediately!!!

aspeck

Staff member

If you haven't changed the oil yet, it may be too late. Get on it ASAP or sooner!:eek:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Like the others mention, change the oil and filter and get it up to temp. I think you will be fine. I have had water get into the oil on my engines before - granted, not in the same way as you :D - and after an oil change or three everything cleared up with no problem. I boat exclusively in salt water so the water in the oil was salt water as well.

But yes, this needs to be done right away to minimize any potential damage.

Another thing to consider - how high did the water get in your bilge? You may be buying a starter in your near future as well.

Dexters dad

Cadet

Thanks guys for the help -- the rest of the story --
I got the boat to my mechanic immediately. He did four oil and filter changes. The next day I ran the boat one and a half hours. The temp held at approx 180 the entire time and the oil pressure varied from 40 lbs at idle to just under 60 lbs at full throttle. The engine ran smooth and strong with no bad noises. I'll be taking the boat out again today and will try to get another two hours running at cruising speed to see if anything breaks.

The sea water never got very high in the bilge because the drain hose help fill the hole to keep the inflow at a minimum -- the bilge pump was able to keep up with what was entering -- hopefully the starter wasn't soaked. Hopefully I dodged a bullet on this one.

Dexters dad

Cadet

Thanks guys for the help -- the rest of the story --
I got the boat to my mechanic immediately. He did four oil and filter changes. The next day I ran the boat one and a half hours. The temp held at approx 180 the entire time and the oil pressure varied from 40 lbs at idle to just under 60 lbs at full throttle. The engine ran smooth and strong with no bad noises. I'll be taking the boat out again today and will try to get another two hours running at cruising speed to see if anything breaks.

The sea water never got very high in the bilge because the drain hose help fill the hole to keep the inflow at a minimum -- the bilge pump was able to keep up with what was entering -- hopefully the starter wasn't soaked. Hopefully I dodged a bullet on this one.

geneseo1911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's amazing. I suspect the water was simply pushed into the tube by the fact that the oil level was lower than the water level outside the boat. The boat was "floating" on the engine oil. It's amazing the abuse an engine will take and keep on ticking. Congratulations on being very, very lucky.

Alumarine

Captain

That's great news. Just keep an eye on your oil.
Good luck.