Wake Tower - Tubers

bhammer

Ensign
All, I have 4 kids that range from 19 to 8 and each like different water sports from boarding to tubing. I have been looking around for a wake tower to add to my boat and have found a few I like. Some of them specifically state that they are single user ski / board and not for use with any inflatable tubes. I would imagine this is an issue with the tower and the boat strength as well. Anyone out there use a tower and tow tubes? Are there towers made for tubing as well? Your thoughts please.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Wake Tower - Tubers

Towers are not made for tubing. People do it but it is not recommended by any manufacturer.

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pretty sure all the tower and tube manufacturers are stating not to pull tubes this way for liability reasons due to the inherent danger of doing so (much like the warnings on a hair dryer and exposure to water). It is much easier to end up "flying" the tube rather than pulling it if it's connected at the higher point. I'm sure it's all fun and exciting until someone gets hammered down into the water from 10-12 feet in the air. Check out some of the youtube videos on that. I'm sure many of them ended up in the hospital.

oldjeep

Admiral

You don't want to ski from them either unless you like the skier getting slack and the boat getting pulled onto its side ;) Towers are for wakeboarding and that is about it.

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see ppl doing it a lot... I just shake my head. Look up kite tube on YouTube, that's pretty much the extreme case scenario, big some of the big tubes still available can have the same effect.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

think about the physics involved

if a skier or wake-boarder takes a dive, the ski-rope handle comes out of the hand and the load on the rope goes to zero.

if a tube takes a dive, instant anchor sock, and the tow rope becomes an instant anchor which will capsize the boat. pulling tubes from the rear tow hook is the only recommended place. if the tube pulled from the tow hook takes a dive, worse case the boat just stops.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Towers are not made for tubing. People do it but it is not recommended by any manufacturer.

'ya sure about that? I'm not... They only thing these guys don't want you pulling with their tower is kites, para sailors, or stranded boats. The tower is rated (and warrantied) for pulling MULTIPLE tubes.
http://www.fatsac.com/

(and no, i'm not saying its a good idea. A flipped over tube and a tight turn could end up with a sort of reverse keel-haul for your boat!)

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pulled a tube with the boat you see in pic to the left, it weighs around 7500lb and when the tube nose dived it stopped the boat DEAD! I think that with the extra height gained with a tower the tubes nose would be kept higher and maybe, possibly prevent that. But we should also bear in mind that many towables are speed rated for just around 20kph and I think many ppl ignore that and that is why they go airborne, speed gives them lift.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I pulled a tube with the boat you see in pic to the left, it weighs around 7500lb and when the tube nose dived it stopped the boat DEAD! I think that with the extra height gained with a tower the tubes nose would be kept higher and maybe, possibly prevent that. But we should also bear in mind that many towables are speed rated for just around 20kph and I think many ppl ignore that and that is why they go airborne, speed gives them lift.

See post #6

country mouse

Recruit

I had a bayliner flight series with a tower. I pulled a two person tube for five years with no problems. You do have to be careful because the tube can get more air. No ten or twelve feet. Kite tubes have been banned. The dealers say not to pull tubes in fear of structural damage from the stress on the tower. My boat had not one issue whatsoever. No spider cracking or nothing. The choice is yours. Research and talk to as many people about it as you can. There has been an odd case of damage but not many. I just bought a new boat and a tower is going on it and I plan to pull a tube. Like I said the choice is yours. The nice thing about a tower is you don't have to use an inflatable device to keep your tube rope out of the water so the rope doesn't throw water in the riders eyes. Just my two cents.

oldjeep

Admiral

I had a bayliner flight series with a tower. I pulled a two person tube for five years with no problems. You do have to be careful because the tube can get more air. No ten or twelve feet. Kite tubes have been banned. The dealers say not to pull tubes in fear of structural damage from the stress on the tower. My boat had not one issue whatsoever. No spider cracking or nothing. The choice is yours. Research and talk to as many people about it as you can. There has been an odd case of damage but not many. I just bought a new boat and a tower is going on it and I plan to pull a tube. Like I said the choice is yours. The nice thing about a tower is you don't have to use an inflatable device to keep your tube rope out of the water so the rope doesn't throw water in the riders eyes. Just my two cents.

Sweet advice, you can do something stupid 100 times and it only takes once for bad things to happen.

halfmoa

Ensign

I pulled a tube with the boat you see in pic to the left, it weighs around 7500lb and when the tube nose dived it stopped the boat DEAD!

And if you'd have been in a hard turn, the boat would've been on it's side and you'd have been swimming. That's why you don't pull tubes from a wake tower.

Like previously stated, it only takes once!

86 century

Ensign

There is one company that says you can pull anything from there tower.

Not a good idea for all the reasons stated above

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've seen at least one other aftermarket company advertise that they are made for tubing. My BIL bought a Crownline and the dealer told him it was OK to tube from the tower. Personally, I wouldn't do it. There is a great deal of stress on a tubing rope that just isn't present on a ski/boarding rope. Just look at the size of the 4K rated rope vs. a wakeboarding rope. When I was looking for my current V-drive boat, I walked away from a few that had the spider cracks at the feet of the tower. I know that they were likely cosmetic and wouldn't affect the structure of the boat but I didn't want to worry about having to convince the guy who eventually buys the boat from me that all the spider cracks were OK.

fortunately, my boat has a very large and well reinforced ski pylon that keeps the ropes out of the water and looks like it is sturdy enough to pull a house.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

the company doesnt advertize its made for tubing, they advertise its strong enough to pull multiple tubes and the tower will not fail. the issue is not the strength of the tower that is the problem, its the strength of the lever arm that will turn your boat over when the tube digs in and catches water. the unnamed company that allows you to tube from their tower is really proud of how strong they made the tower, and are focused purely on strength, not on the laws of physics regarding the lever. this is taken directly from their web site:

WARNING: Almost every tower feels rock solid when you first see it or use it, but the real whistle blowing insider secret is that there is a huge problem facing manufacturers. Most towers are not designed for the real world abuse that occurs in the lake when you are traveling over rough water or on land when the boat is being trailered. This constant shaking takes most towers from solid to extremely lose inside of a year. A huge indicator is if the manufacturer warns you to not tube or use towables on their universal wakeboard tower.

I was flabbergasted to find out that the most abusive activity you can do with a tower is to tow your family or buddies in a tube. But who wants to change the rope to down low when it could be up and out of the way of passengers while keeping the rope from creating spray in the faces of those riding the tubes.

The answer to the problem of towers loosening over time was ingenious. By adding an over-head cross bar attachment that expands, the universal wakeboard tower was so solid that it did not budge. The one manufacturer that came up with this solution, actually proved their point by encouraging boat owners to tube with their tower.

One of the greatest industry secrets is the knowledge that most towers will get lose over time so if you do not want to have this problem, make sure your tower has an over head cross-bar attachment. This is built into our tower above and doubles as a wakeboard rack and is guaranteed for life!

Do you feel like you have enough information to get the right tower for your boat? You should feel pretty confident!

As Archimedes stated, give me a lever and I will move the world.

if you want to tube from a tower, so be it, we have pointed out the reasons why its not a good idea. Just make sure that everyone in the boat has a PFD for when the boat is rotated 90 degrees by the large lever arm.

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wouldn't do it as I wouldn't want to risk damage to my boat. This would range from gel coat cracks to sinking the boat. With all the wake surfing going on these days there are lots of big rollers out there that a tube could plow into and submerge causing big problems. Hook your rope to the boat and tube worry free.

theservicegroup777

Seaman Apprentice

'ya sure about that? I'm not... They only thing these guys don't want you pulling with their tower is kites, para sailors, or stranded boats. The tower is rated (and warrantied) for pulling MULTIPLE tubes.

(and no, i'm not saying its a good idea. A flipped over tube and a tight turn could end up with a sort of reverse keel-haul for your boat!)

YES.....I am 100% sure about that. From experience. Towers anchor to the boat typically in 4 spots on the side or top of the gunnels. Pulling straight ...ok.. Not many people that tube simply want to get pulled in a straight line they want to be whipped. Towers are made for the distribution of weight or pull to be behind the boat.

Whip a tuber and your tower will flex and fold over like a chair.

You can always learn by trial and error$

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Of course nothing is absolute :)

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

YES.....I am 100% sure about that. From experience. Towers anchor to the boat typically in 4 spots on the side or top of the gunnels. Pulling straight ...ok.. Not many people that tube simply want to get pulled in a straight line they want to be whipped. Towers are made for the distribution of weight or pull to be behind the boat.

Whip a tuber and your tower will flex and fold over like a chair.

You can always learn by trial and error$

have to disagree here. An advanced wakeboarder cutting away from the boat is putting far more side load on the tower than any tube ever will. A good tower is designed to take load in every direction except forwards.

I still wouldnt pull a tube from the tower, mostly because it seems like tubes run better when pulled from the transom hooks than up high.