VW Diesel ?

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, my sister calls me on the phone tonight asking me to go with her tomorrow to buy a 2003 VW Diesel, with 39,000 miles on it for 15K. I'm guessing it is a program car. <br />Problem is, I don't know 1 diddly thing about VW's or Diesel's. First I tried to talk her into keeping her 97 Buick, that she has only changed the Radiator, A/C Blower motor, Water Pump, and Starter on. I tried to explain that this is not Motor Problems, just accessories and regular maintanence that every one has to do on all vehicles. Her reply was that it also drips a little oil. <br /><br />Next I tried to explain that a guy needs more than 12 to 20 hours to research something before going down and signing papers on it. I don't think she was pleased with this response. Lastly I tried to explain that if she drives up in my driveway and comments that something is wrong with her Diesel Engine, that I couldn't help her, not only can I NOT work on it, but I wouldn't know if a Mechanic that is, was treating her fairly or not, that is if she can find one in this area besides the dealer to work on it. <br /><br />So, Does any body have any experiences with the 2003 Model VW Diesels? Good, Bad, opinions? Lord help me, I'm not looking forward to this experience. Sorry I can't provide more information, you have all that she has given me. :rolleyes:

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer
Re: VW Diesel ?

VW diesel engines are wonderful and very high MPG. Problem is that much of the rest of the VW is mediocre.<br /><br />In my experience (I love to drive VW, handle wonderfully) is that there are two types of VW on the road:<br /><br />1. Never breaks down and runs forever until the doors fall off at 500 000 miles.<br /><br />2. Doors fall off as you drive away from the dealership.<br /><br />The VW do not have consistent quality.<br /><br />Just my opinion...<br /><br />Joe

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Providing the car is in respectable condition, I don't think that it will last long at 15K. VW diesels have a reputation for excellent economy. In these days of high fuel costs that is a significant consideration.<br /><br />I've owned a few diesel vehicles and a diesel lawn tractor without having any significant problems other than preventative maintenance.<br /><br />Diesel technology has come a long way in the past few years which has developed technology to deviate from typical stereotyping of diesel motors. (ie. easier winter starting, less noise, less emissions. etc.)<br /><br />The only downside is that diesels take a little longer to get going than gasoline powered engines and therefore are not ideal for a high volume of city driving. Although once out on the highway, they have strong torque for effortless accelleration.<br /><br /><br />Kevin

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

If it is a jetta, expect to pay at least 50 bucks to change the oil and there is no way I could see to do this in the driveway. 0-20mph will require patience, but after that they move along nicely. The turbo diesel is a nice option.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the help so far guys, and let me apoligize. I thought I was posting in the Non-boating technical section. I guess I clicked on the first line under the blue bar, and didn't pay enough attention. Hopefully, I might talk my sister into waiting to let me find out a little more, but I doubt it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Duplicate post. See DC.