VW Diesel ?

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer
First let me apoligize, I have posted this in two sections, because I really don't know which place it belongs, but I thought this section might reach more folks. So here goes.<br /><br />Ok, my sister calls me on the phone tonight asking me to go with her tomorrow to buy a 2003 VW Diesel, with 39,000 miles on it for 15K. I'm guessing it is a program car. <br />Problem is, I don't know 1 diddly thing about VW's or Diesel's. First I tried to talk her into keeping her 97 Buick, that she has only changed the Radiator, A/C Blower motor, Water Pump, and Starter on. I tried to explain that this is not Motor Problems, just accessories and regular maintanence that every one has to do on all vehicles. Her reply was that it also drips a little oil. <br /><br />Next I tried to explain that a guy needs more than 12 to 20 hours to research something before going down and signing papers on it. I don't think she was pleased with this response. Lastly I tried to explain that if she drives up in my driveway and comments that something is wrong with her Diesel Engine, that I couldn't help her, not only can I NOT work on it, but I wouldn't know if a Mechanic that is, was treating her fairly or not, that is if she can find one in this area besides the dealer to work on it. <br /><br />So, Does any body have any experiences with the 2003 Model VW Diesels? Good, Bad, opinions? Lord help me, I'm not looking forward to this experience. Sorry I can't provide more information, you have all that she has given me.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: VW Diesel ?

Don't know the details of the VW diesel..<br /><br /><br />but as a diesel owner (2nd diesel), diesels are extremely reliable and really not that hard to work on.<br /><br />VW makes an excellent diesel. Price sounds good for a diesel. <br /><br />What you get with the diesel is longevity, fuel mileage.<br /><br />My first diesel was 15 years old before I got my 2nd. I now have 120,000 miles in 5 years on this diesel and will keep it at least another 10 years.<br /><br />My other truck I never had 1 diesel related problem. This truck I haven't either.<br /><br />The germans make a really, really good diesel.<br /><br />Hope this help you!

Skinnywater

Commander

The major problems with that car is going to be window regulators, window switches and things in the order of body and accessories.<br />This isn't a major problem but it's an annoyance.<br />And the prices of the parts are pricey for what they are.<br /><br />The chassis and drivetrain are topnotch. The TDI is an excellent performing, very economical configuration. The styling is beautiful, resale is good and the total package is very nice.<br />If we're talking about a Jetta TDI the rig is capable of 45-50mpg. The performance is outstanding for a Diesel with this sized motor.<br /><br />A new Jetta TDI was our second choice for my wifes drive and our "steppin' out" car. We went with a used ('99) Mercedes C230 Kompressor instead.<br /><br />Have it checked fro previous collision damage. The miles allow for the purchase of a good extended warranty package.<br />Spend that 21-20 hours of investigation on the right extended warranty package.<br />The only one I'm familiar with is the Chrysler extended warranty and it's very worth while. It can be purchased from a Chrysler dealer for that car.

one more cast

Captain

I stopped and looked at an older VW diesel that was on the side of the road for sale and it had over 350,000 miles on it so the motor shouldn't be a problem.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

VW (and their cousins, Audi and a couple of other brands) were among the first European manufs. who made small volume diesels turning at gas-like rpm and providing a similar driveability. They contributed heavily to making diesels everyday cars for ordinairy families. Basically they started off from gas engines, reinforced and developed until a very reliable and ridgid series of diesel engines became their diesel backbone. Rather high revving (for a diesel), the early 1.6 litre diesel had some problems but those were gone with the turbo version of the same engine. Later came other versions incl. a 5-cyl diesel. <br /><br />The 1.6 litre turbo-diesel was found from Rabbit and throughout the model range - pretty overworked in some applications but still - it kept.<br /><br />They're performing alright (not that slow 0-20 mph), provide good mpg and will, if kept properly, run and run and run.<br /><br />Those engines (and later versions) are widely used for more applications (also marine). Did you know, that the 6-cyl Volvo Diesel was powered by a VW engine? <br /><br />The VW & it's family is even used as Taxi in several countries.<br /><br />The lastest designs covers Common Rail technology, turbo, intercooler and EFI and a 4-cyl 2-litre produces 140 hp, 320 nm @ 1750 rpm, pushes the newest Rabbit 0-62 mph in 9.3 sec and tops at 128 mph. All within the toughest environmental rules and regulations. Avg. mpg is 43.7 - according to a European Standard that combines all sorts of driving and is the basis for calculating car taxes in more countries.<br /><br />Their diesel top models are a 2.5 litre, 5-cyl, 174 hp, 400 nm and a special 5.9 litre, 10 cyl with 313 hp and 750 nm.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I drive a VW Jetta TDI as a commuter car and get 45-55 mpg. The new models have a 70K timing belt life and the belt MUST be done. It tends to be pricey and they (the stealership) always reccommend the water pump at the same time.<br /><br />Great little car but I would not agree on the price. (I would negotiate closer to 12.5K) The stealerships are the only places to get work done so you are at the mercy of them. If there is not more than one around then you are trapped.<br /><br /><br />Bob

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Godsbeast, i would keep that Buick, Hell of alot easier to work on and cheaper, they are a good car and the price of new cars are a joke

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

I want to thank everyone for their Input. It is a done deal now, my sister bought the VW for 14K.<br />I think she is trying to put 300K miles on it tonight. :rolleyes: :D It was nice to see her so happy.

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Godsbeast,<br /><br />I own a 1985 diesel Jetta and I am very impressed with it. I don't really know anything about the newer models, but this one is treating me well. I can vouch for the gas-like performance of the vw diesel. Mine is the 1.6L non-turbo version. Diesels are basically the same design as a gas engine except for all the reinforced parts needed for the higher compression. The fuel and intake system is a little different, but if you just learn the basics they aren't that hard to work on. Just whatever y'all do, NEVER EVER EVER put just plain gas engine oil in it. ALWAYS use Rotella T or another oil specifically designed for diesels. If you use regular oil the motor will rip itself apart. Also, in the winter, don't forget to run anti-gelling additive in the fuel if it gets cold in your neck of the woods. Be sure to plug the block warmer in to make it easier to start in the cold also. I really love my little car. I deliver pizzas with it four days a week for about 10 hours a day and never shut it off during the day. I even carry a spare key and lock it up with it running at stores and such. It hardly uses any fuel idling. The A/C still works and I leave it on all the time too so it's always nice and cool. I've not had any major problems at all with it really. Something you may not believe, but I raced a friend of mine who had a v-6 blazer from about the same era and left him like he was sittin' still. I almost couldn't believe it myself, but it did. The main reason I bought this little car is so I would stop running my truck into the ground, but now I drive the car everywhere. I've had the car since May and have probably only put 200-300 miles on my truck since. You can also run it off of vegetable oil or process it into biodiesel and drive for free. That's what I plan to do eventually. Look it up. The stuff is easy to process as long as you're safe and have a basic understanding of how to use chemistry equipment. Anyway, good luck with whatever y'all decide. Just don't be afraid of working on it. They're actually easier to work on that gas engines ;) . <br /><br />James

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

opps just noticed you posted before I got finished. I also noticed you're in Louisiana so cold shouldn't be a problem. Anyways good luck and, like I said, don't be afraid to work on it.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

GB,<br />Generally these late model diesels are very strong and reliable units.<br />Remember however these points.<br />Always use a premium diesel engine oil and keep up those oil changes.<br />The fuel filter usually is replaced with each 2nd oil change to ensure clean fuel.<br />The injector pump (prob a Bosch Rotary type) should be ok for 3-400000 miles before needing service. Clean clean clean fuel is the secret.<br />If the engine is indirect injection the service life of the injectors is usually about 70k miles before the nozzles need to be serviced.<br />The cam belt needs to be done at the appointed mileage as previously mentioned coz if it breaks you will buy another cyl head and valves and poss some pistons. There is NO clearance for open valves when the piston comes to the top of its stroke....OUCH.<br />The real savings on operating costs with a diesel come with high milage use. Short running stop / start situation is not what they like.<br />I have travelled over 1m kilometers behind small jap diesels 2.5 to 3.0 litre. Their engineering is as good as the european brands.<br />Good luck<br /><br />Peter

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Jee and Peter, I'll pass this info on to her. She bought the VW Bug, so I have not even looked under the hood. I took a ride in it, I think her Buick rode better, but she loves the Bug, so as long as she likes it. <br /><br />I've got about 9 more payments on my Boat, then I'm going to buy myself a new Truck and I'm thinking about a Diesel also. I know about the Rotella and there is a shop that changes Diesel Oil "Uses ROtella" and they check all the other fluids, etc. for not too much more than the costs of the Oil. I think I figured out the costs of the Oil, filters, etc. and there is about a $10.00 savings doing it yourself, Just ain't worth it in my book, and they are insured for any mistakes, Guarantied. "They buy Rotella in BULK." So I'm going to point her in that direction. I only do the accessories on my motors now, for the big stuff, I haul them into the shop, "I even got permission from the wife to let the Mechanic's do it." :D So, I ain't fixing to start working on the Sis's Diesel.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Hi GB<br />I have a nephew who is shop foreman for our local VW dealer. He trained with Toyota some years back and was a little concerned about working on the euro brands but loves em. The technology and engineering used in these things now is very good and reliability is like the Jap stuff as well.<br />For my point of view our market is dominated by jap product with Toyota displaying the best support so we use Toyo's.<br />The Euro's, Merc, BMW, Volvo and others have increased their market shares dramatically in recent years. Their only real downfall is the distance from the factory for parts supply etc.<br /><br />Good luck<br /><br />Peter

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

i got a 2k beetle tdi, the premium for the desiel was $850, milage is good 40+, my complaint as mentioned before are the switches for the windows.locks,remote mirror. the shrouding underneth fell off. and is very expensive to replace. not done, the cd changer went bad, common, and i bought a upgraded version but had tbl addapting it. yes the timming belt is shortlived 60k and cost about 1400 to do and only the dealer can do, need special jig to remove the engine on the bettle, current tbl is the door mechnism is flaky,some times wont close. the gas latch relay and cable need replacement, the airbag connector is loose again, and the car smokes, thinking about seafoam for that. <br /> the single most complaint is that it has frozen/gelled up every winter. treatment no help. all this on a car with 97k. <br /> would i buy another. the drive train will outlast the body, my old nissan sentra does 35 mpg, and the desiel fuel is only 9 cents a gallon cheaper.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

forgot, the turbo charger was replaced by the dealer, 1600 buck, warranty, and the dash board,and multiple key replaced because of the security system being flaky. <br /> i suggest buying the cd rom repair manual from bently. common cense doesnt alway work on these.

Alan Taylor

Cadet

I am not in the least bit tech minded so a mate does the oil and oil filter for me once a year. What we did find out by accident was that when you do the oil change, put cheap oil in and run the motor for a few minutes then drain it out.<br />Now put the good oil in, flushing it out makes a difference.<br />I have a 20 year old VW transporter van (pickup), it has done so many miles the clock has been round 3 times. It has so many compartments that the customs us it for training exercises EVERY time I go to the UK iwth it and they still miss a few places out :D <br /><br />Alan