VRP, Lower Unit, Compression Test without battery??

mrkingnh

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1989 Evinrude 50hp VRP Motor. About to troubleshoot it and hopefully get it running. I am new to Boat Motors (first project), but have a pretty solid Electrical and Mechanical background. I know the place to start this venture is going to be the OEM Manual, but until that arrives, I had a few questions...

1. Boat currently has no battery. Can I use my car battery to do a compression/spark test, or should I get a batter

2. I have read many posts were people have removed the VRP? Pro's and Con's?? My motor has the VRP attached, but no oil tank present??

3. How can I disassemble the lower unit at home? Can I make pullers or some sort of pry-bar tool to remove the Prop Shaft and Drive Shaft? I was told that the lower End will need to be diagnosed. The motor came with the Lower end removed and the waterpump and anything else attached to the shafts removed. Currently the Lower Unit is disassembled down to the Shift Linkage, the Prop Shaft and Drive Shaft are all ready to be removed. I have found that there are specialty tools made to remove these parts. I dont really want to purchase these tools that I hope to only use once (I have Machine Shop access and any Material I may need)

Thanks

mrkingnh