• Trust it

Votes: 73 43.2%
  • Bypass it

Votes: 96 56.8%

• Total voters

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: VRO YES or NO

You guys just keep measuring and mixing.

I'll just keep my tanks filled.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

You guys just keep measuring and mixing.

I'll just keep my tanks filled.

how much harder is it to pour "X" ounces of oil into the hole you put the gas into??? you got the gas cap off already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what else is there?? both have to go buy oil and keep it on hand, either to fill the resevior or to pour in the tank.

and for that effort, all the premixer have 100% piece of mind.

now I am sure that most of the wives tales about VRO systems failing and ruining a motor are exaggerated...

but it wouldnt be a wives tale..if it seldom happened!! there has to be some truth to the story that the system fails and it has a devestating effect on a big investment of the boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you weigh the work involved against the rewards...

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Your link doesn't work. Takes you to forum rules and regs.
Is that your point? No dissent allowed? I have found that to be true here.
You can't disagree.

my guess is he is alluding that the Thread is a violation of the etiquite rule #7 ha ha ha

just a hunch

bob

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Well it is a pain to put in X amount of oil. I add oil by the gallon not ounce. Plus I fill with fuel many more times than with oil. To mix with fuel requires a funnel, oil and a measuring device to do it accurately. This would be required every time I fill.

I don't spend time worrying about whether my OMS system is working. I'm much more concerned that one of my 12 carbs has a restricted high speed jet, this is what kills motors not a failing OMS system. Thats 6 times adding oil for every once I do it now.

I've go enough to do already without adding another chore to boating.

As always my opinion only.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dumping a quart of oil into 12 gallons of gas ain't rocket science.

24 gals = 2 quarts
36 gals = 3 quarts
48 gals = 1 gallon of oil
96 gals = 2 gallons of oil
and so on...........

Do the math, mix the gas, it isn't EVER going to fail.

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just bought an oms pump. Been running since 95. In another 15 years will I still be able to drive my boat?

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Dumping a quart of oil into 12 gallons of gas ain't rocket science.

24 gals = 2 quarts
36 gals = 3 quarts
48 gals = 1 gallon of oil
96 gals = 2 gallons of oil
and so on...........

Do the math, mix the gas, it isn't EVER going to fail.
OK, that really helps becuase those calcualtions are so tough for us dummies. I now know you know better than me what is or isn't convenient for me or how reliable I am compared to a well running mechanical device. I'll disable my system immediately! Thanks for your insight.

yoster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's my dilemma on this.

(Hello by the way, been reading the forums for awhile now but haven't really participated yet).

I just purchased a used 1995 115hp 60-degree v4 Intruder. It's in the shop now to have the carbs re-built (been sitting for 2 years and will barely run; bunch of bad gas was sitting in it). Mechanic feels that the oil pump is fine and should be kept connected. Problem is, the motor/pump is 15 years old now. And well, 15 years for anything is pretty old, and everything fails eventually; nothing lasts forever!

So lets say I clean out the screen in the oil tank to make sure there's no blockage and all that jazz. With a guy like me picking up a 15-year old motor, and lets say the oil pump is currently working, how much longer do I have? Truth is, I really don't know.

My wife and I have our first kid on the way, and it was like pulling teeth just trying to get this used fishing boat. I really can't afford an oil pump dying on me then destroying the whole engine. The repair price would be more than what I paid for the boat! So for someone like me, I think this changes things.. I know that as long as I'm alive I'll have the ability to mix oil and gas. I can't really say the same for the oil pump.

I'm not disconnecting it yet.. more to post on here to find out what's the LONGEST someone has had the oil pump in operation? Anyone going on 20+ years with the original pump?

itsaboattime

OK, that really helps becuase those calcualtions are so tough for us dummies. I now know you know better than me what is or isn't convenient for me or how reliable I am compared to a well running mechanical device. I'll disable my system immediately! Thanks for your insight.

It isn't about convenience, it's about keeping the correct amount of oil mixed with the gas so your motor doesn't go to hell.

If it were about convenience every motor would be a four stroke and this debate would be moot.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

It isn't about convenience, it's about keeping the correct amount of oil mixed with the gas so your motor doesn't go to hell.

If it were about convenience every motor would be a four stroke and this debate would be moot.

Your point is?

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Here's my dilemma on this.

(Hello by the way, been reading the forums for awhile now but haven't really participated yet).

I just purchased a used 1995 115hp 60-degree v4 Intruder. It's in the shop now to have the carbs re-built (been sitting for 2 years and will barely run; bunch of bad gas was sitting in it). Mechanic feels that the oil pump is fine and should be kept connected. Problem is, the motor/pump is 15 years old now. And well, 15 years for anything is pretty old, and everything fails eventually; nothing lasts forever!

So lets say I clean out the screen in the oil tank to make sure there's no blockage and all that jazz. With a guy like me picking up a 15-year old motor, and lets say the oil pump is currently working, how much longer do I have? Truth is, I really don't know.

My wife and I have our first kid on the way, and it was like pulling teeth just trying to get this used fishing boat. I really can't afford an oil pump dying on me then destroying the whole engine. The repair price would be more than what I paid for the boat! So for someone like me, I think this changes things.. I know that as long as I'm alive I'll have the ability to mix oil and gas. I can't really say the same for the oil pump.

I'm not disconnecting it yet.. more to post on here to find out what's the LONGEST someone has had the oil pump in operation? Anyone going on 20+ years with the original pump?

If it truly is 15 years old (the pump), I'd certainly test it thoroughly including the alarms and marking and measuring oil usage.

One thing to keep in mind is, the entire pump, not just the oil side, is 15 years old though. The pump has three "moving parts": an air motor which in turn powers the fuel pump and the oil pump. All are within the "VRO/OMS pump". I would think the fuel side and air motor are just about as likely to fail because of age as the oil side. So maybe regardless of whether you decide that you like the automatic oil mixing or pre-mixing, you might think of replacing the pump anyway as a general precaution.

You might want to check to see what vintage pump it is. Maybe it was upgraded recently. The continuous wave article http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html can help you identify the vintage of the pump, or maybe you can find a part number on it (post if you're unsure).

But if it's 15 years old, even if it seemed to be working fine, I'd be tempted to replace it with a brand new, current technology pump - either oil mixing or pre-mix type (which ironically isn't a heck of a lot cheaper). My guess is that a new, shop installed VRO/OMS pump would be ~$500, while the fuel only (premix type) would be ~$100 less.

I'm an advocate for the VRO/OMS system, but either decision is rational.

yoster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so I have a question for you then that may rule one of the two sides of the pump out immediately.

Before I flushed the tank out (old gas), I noticed that the in-line fuel filter going from the tank to the engine was filled with oil. It appears that the oil had gone from the oil pump back down the gas side to the tank. Is that ok? Looking at the diagram on that link I can see how the two are connected and how that might be possible. Since then I've flushed the tank and the engine has idled around at the lake (where we discovered that the carbs needed a rebuilt), and haven't seen the oil show back up in the in-line filter (it's a glass filter so I can visually inspect).

itsaboattime

Your point is?

My point is that you are (sacastically) talking about what is convenient for you.
If you aren't reliable enough to measure out a 50:1 fuel mixture, I strongly question your ability to get back to shore when your "well running mechanical device" craps out while underway and you have to mix your fuel in the tank.
Like I said, it isn't about convenience.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Why is it the premixers get so stoked up about this? Maybe it's because I have twins but I just dont see the big deal here. Everything dies. The question is are you prepared?

I personally am considering going back to points and a rotary distributor for reliability as well. I've had WAY more power pack failures than VRO-OMS and I dont carry a spare power pack and they will leave me just as dead in the water.

How about belts - how many 4 strokers have spares? again just as dead in the water.

And gosh.. you could have a backfire after a long drift and shear flywheel key - what no spare flywheel?... again SOL.

Just because it's the only item really not required to operate a carburated engine doesnt mean there is no place for it.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

My point is that you are (sacastically) talking about what is convenient for you.
If you aren't reliable enough to measure out a 50:1 fuel mixture, I strongly question your ability to get back to shore when your "well running mechanical device" craps out while underway and you have to mix your fuel in the tank.
Like I said, it isn't about convenience.

Interesting comment. I encourage you to read the very quote of mine that you posted w/ the above. I was talking about my own opinion, capabilities and experience, because that was my whole point. I think that was pretty clear, but want to clarify that if not.

[edited to remove my argumentative comments. I'll leave my pi$$ing matches to "my Johnson's telltale sprays further than yours"]

McGR

I decided to run the VRO/OMS pump on my new to me '95 V4 looper. My guess is that it is probably the original 15 year old pump. I truly do like the convenience of filling up the oil tank and not having to think about the oil for a while. Nonetheless, the thought of the pump failing and trashing my great running motor has been gnawing at the back of my mind. I think I'll run the VRO/OMS for the remainder of the season while I sit on the fence. In the mean time I'll keep reading these threads while vacillating between "leave it on - the claims of problems are exaggerated" and "get that thing off before you blow your motor!!".

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I've got two '95 150's both run OMS pumps. I replaced one because of a warning failure - always sounded. The other is original. - Thats 15 years and 1300 hours for those who keep track.

I did disassemble the original pump, it looks brand new, no cracks or wear marks on the pistons or their flexable surfaces. Last year I used the housing from the 1st because one of the glued in hose connectors was cracked at the connection to the housing.

The pump itself is very simple inside. A spring, and two diaphrams are about it. Not much to fail but the diaphram itself.

I dont measure it's usage other than to compare the two tanks to ensure both levels drop equally. And I look for smoke. If it smokes its getting oil.