VRO Ticking? w/ video

AJW

Seaman Apprentice
Hi - I have a 1998 175hp Johnson looper. I am having trouble chasing down a stalling issue. When I put the engine in gear, at the lowest rpms it sputters and dies. Pumping the ball helps so I think it was the VRO. I had an older VRO sitting around from another engine (1992) and I swapped it out this morning and tested it. It seems to be running better and does not die when put in gear. However, I am now hearing a clicking sound. A mechanic friend of mine said when a VRO fails it will make noise like that Does this sound like what's happening? I already ordered a rebuild kit for the vro I pulled out and will have it put back in by Thursday.

Another note - the "no oil" alarm came on when I started it up this morning, but after pumping the oil ball more and restarting it went away. It was definitely getting oil, or at least it seemed to be based off the amount of white smoke in the exhaust. The temps on the heads were also good. 150deg or less. Compression was good at the beginning of the year but haven't tested lately. It starts right up on the first turn of the key so I think it is still good.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Another note - the "no oil" alarm came on when I started it up this morning, but after pumping the oil ball more and restarting it went away. It was definitely getting oil, or at least it seemed to be based off the amount of white smoke in the exhaust.
I suspect both problems are related.

I can't pump my oil bulb at all and never have been able to.
I wouldn't expect to given it's dead ended at the pump. No where to pump oil too......

Smoke wise, I get a bit when first started. Smoke pretty much goes way once motor comes up to temp

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would do a oil consumption / oil output test on your VRO pump.----Too much risk running with a unit you do not trust.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You should hear the VRO/OMS click about every 30-45 seconds at idle..clicking noise is 100% normal as this is air motor poppet releasing the return spring. If its clicking rapidly there is a air leak