VRO Question

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2001 Johnson 40hp two stroke that wouldn't start. Shop said carb bowls were full of oil. They cleaned the carbs, has good spark and compression, fires right and runs like a champ. He said the vro is slowly going out. He said it's about a $600 part.

I see these on ebay ranging from $100 - $350+/- rebuilt. I see them listed with a huge range of years and hp's. Is this part really that universal of a part? When the ad says fits years 97-05, 30hp, 40hp,.....115hp, or things to that affect, is it a pretty safe bet it'll work?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Did you just get the motor? Oil in the carbs on a VRO usually means somebody tried to run the carbs dry. Because of the way the VRO works, when you unplug the fuel line to run it dry the oil side keeps pumping oil and fills the carb bowls. It sounds like it is working normally and there is a test for the VRO pump to determine if it is operating properly. Did your mechanic do that test or just tell you it is going bad.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
How long did this motor sit before you found the oil in the carbs ??

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
About 4-5 yrs according to the P. O. I bought the boat last fall from a guy at work. It was his dad's. His dad winterized it but then got sick and ultimately died. I bought it but I added a 9.9 Mercury because I keep it on restricted waters. I never tried to start it until about a month ago. I sprayed ether in the carb and it fired but stalled when that burned off. I also sprayed carb cleaner a few times, more ether, lather rinse repeat. So, that being said it may have been me that flooded it with oil, who knows.

I know engines but I'm not a mechanic, especially two stroke outboards. Sometimes certain things are better left to the pros so I took it in. All I know is what I mentioned earlier. I do not know how he diagnosed the vro. He said it runs great and to empty the bowls when I winterize it. He said do that and I may be ok. It's a mechanical device so who knows. I'll presume he tested because he checked everything else - spark, compression, octane, battery, position of the cosmos lol. This is a quality shop, too so they've got cred.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
There are ways to test the vro oil usage. With that said, in my experience they tend to over oil when they fail.

If you are concerned, pre mix for awhile and mark the oil tank. Double oil will not effect anything. See how much you use.

The test involves a length of clear tubing with marks at certain measured intervals. You then place your hand on the pump and count the clicks you feel wjile running and see how far the oil in the tube dropped. Ask them if they did this.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If you tried to run it on starting fluid, and you shouldn't unless it's the type designed for two strokes, you probably filled the carbs with oil yourself. It will pump oil even if the pump isn't supplying gas, so running on starting fluid will fill the float bowls with oil. The needles or floats in the carbs may be stuck, or maybe the some other issue that may have nothing to do with VRO.

And spraying carb cleaner into the carb throat won't do anything to help clean the carbs.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
And spraying carb cleaner into the carb throat won't do anything to help clean the carbs.

It will also ruin your motor beyond repair fairly quick. Maybe two minutes worth of running on ether or carb cleaner.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I would call your mechanic and find what tests he performed on the VRO. VRO systems tend to be blamed for a lot of problems they don't cause. There is also a no flow alarm if no oil is being pumped.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You could have a bad cap on the oil tank so pressure is building in the oil tank when sitting. There have been some out there. Either loosen the cap or replace it..

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well we're going to float it tomorrow. If it should happen to conk I've got my Merc as a backup to get me home.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Not sure what slowly going out means for the VRO, but imo would probably want to go with a regular fuel pump as a replacement unless you find the fuel pump side will work for you running premix. The fuel side can be rebuilt pretty easily, but kits can run more than what a replacement pump might cost (standard pump).

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced the oil just before bringing it in so if built up pressure was the cause we should be good there. I don't know if oil goes bad from sitting like gas does so I changed it.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If you dumped all of the oil out of the tank you have to bleed the system or run pre-mix to make sure it's working. When you dumped it there is a possibility of an air bubble in the system.

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I picked it up. It fired right up and ran good. I launched it, backed out of the ramp and it died - 30ft from shore, too. I tried and tried to restart it only to find they didn't reconnect the fuel line. I plugged it back on, tried and tried again with no luck so I'm right back where I started. Got towed back to the dock and brought it right back. They're not open until Tuesday so we'll see what they have to say this time.

Fed

Commander
You probably filled it up with oil again by running it out of fuel & continued cranking.
They won't start or run on straight oil.

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nope. Fuel line was disconnected and I unknowingly filled the carb with oil. Shop called yesterday and confirmed that. It's fixed now. Picking it up today.

Fed

Commander
Running with the fuel line disconnected will definitely cause you to run out of fuel.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Running with the fuel line disconnected will definitely cause you to run out of fuel.

Thats one of those rare statements you can make and be sure that you are correct. Well said