VRO fuel Leak and carburetor leak

wambs8

Seaman
1985 johnson 90HP Model J90TLCOS. VRO Fuel Leak where the mixed fuel "OUT" hose is and where the line goes to the inlet connection for the top carburetor. New fuel hoses and oil hoses. Newer Carburetor rebuilds. Motor runs great and idles smooth. Using 6 gallon portable tanks. Odd thing, when I replaced the hose leaving the VRO, Previous owner used a 1/4" hose and not a 5/16" hose. So when I went to a 5/16" hose that connection started to leak also. Could the VRO be building too much pressure? I need to go to Auto zone tomorrow to get a Higher pressure Fuel gage then the one I got. Guessing the P.O. might have used a smaller diameter hose because the connection was leaking. Using proper snap clamps. No alarms

Dave

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: VRO fuel Leak and carburetor leak

5/16" hose is frequently used from the tank to the engine. Smaller hoses are frequently used inside the cowling. A 5/16" hose is probably too large for the fittings on the pump and may be why it is leaking. I see from the factory parts list that OMC requires a special hose in that location. The hose they recommend was originally 329614, superceding to 333403. OMC put a part number on each "special" hose that had a special application. Likely that hose is specially heat formed to bend around tight corners-yet not kink due to the severe bend. Both part numbers are NLA, however. You may be able to adapt a smaller diameter generic fuel hose, but you must make sure the generic/bulk hose won't kink, by making large, arc bends in the hose. Likely all the original hoses inside the cowling of this engine are not rated for today's ethanol blend fuels. You may want to replace any remaining original 1985 hoses. Be watchful of any hoses that are engineered to make sharp bends-they will have actual part numbers on them.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had similar issues and learned one or two things. I have a clear fuel filter after primer bulb so i can see any air bubbles that may be entering and Cable ties do not seal, if your using them they do make a special tie for hoses but i no longer use cable ties for fuel and oil lines.

wambs8

Seaman

I had 2 separate issues. First leak was were the plastic elbow is pressed into the bottom plate. I just assumed that it was the hose because it dripped down from the hose. I bought a pair of carburetors from Ebay for parts. The second leak was a little more difficult. I used a elbow and fittings to get a straight shot from the VRO. Stopped leaking at idle but leaked at WOT. So I went to 1/4 inch hose to the elbow and 5/16 after that and that solved that leak. Had to heat end of hose in hot water to get it over the nipple. That special hose must of fit allot better at the VRO.

Dave

PICT0040.jpgPICT0030.jpg