VP 280 no reverse

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
looking at the pic, link #3 isnt connected. it looks like its there in the corrosion crud, however not connected.

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If link #3 is the ‘reverse lock rod’ then it is attached just like in this pic (although the pic is a stock image..not of my boat). No cotter pin or a anything, but feeling around I don’t think I feel a hole for one anyways

Attachments

• E3170AA6-CECC-4971-BD7B-688F03D7E685.jpeg
    E3170AA6-CECC-4971-BD7B-688F03D7E685.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 10

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all I’m reviving this thread. I never resolved the issue but now that the boat is on the hard I’d like to figure out what’s going on. As a refresher:
Last year when I put the boat in the water the VP280 went into reverse once ….and then never again for the rest of the season. It has gear oil. I tried adjusting the trunion. Everything moves properly when shifted at the helm. If I disconnect linkages and shift the lobe manually it will shift into F, R and N. The shift cable is properly seated in its anchor plate on the drive. I can’t seem to find a sweet spot where the lobe travels to a full position in BOTH forward AND reverse though. When I played with the trunion I could get it to do one or the other. It worked the prior season and nothing changed with the linkages since then .

There are a few variables I can think of:
-I had done some transom work and put in a new transom plate (among all other changes associated with a transom rebuild). The new plate seemed slightly different than the prior one, but I don’t see how it could affect shifting? And it did go into reverse *once* with the new plate.
-when I manually shifted it into reverse I realized that the leg pops up. I don’t know if this is related or not…but I’m wondering if the one time it actually worked in reverse the leg popped up and something didn’t reset correctly to allow it to shift again after that?
-I never tried adjusting link #17 (in parts diagram from post #17) but that never moved in the 7 years I’ve had the boat so can’t think why I should mess with it?
-I did replace the shifter at some point. I can’t remember how long ago that was. More than a season ago. I don’t use the boat that often and I use reverse even less often. It’s hard for me to believe that this could be a problem associated with when I changed the shifter but…anything is possible?
Any thoughts on what to try next? Thanks !

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the leg pops up, look at the reverse catch (bottom left corner)
https://www.volvopentastore.com/mall/image/view/7/7/7286_0.png

use the factory manual to adjust the cable. however running it not fully in gear, you may have toasted your reverse gear.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
-I did replace the shifter at some point.
Verify the throw of the shift cable at the shifter end. All three positions should match closely to the shift linkage

Often times with volvo and aftermarket remote controls there are more than one connection point for the cable end. If the cable doesn't have enough throw at the drive end you can experience the symptoms you describe

Verify the reverse lock mechanism is operating by manually shifting the drive with the cable disconnected. It should be obvious whether or not the lock is engaging with the cross bar at the lower transom assy. Perhaps something is bent, broken or missing.

kenny nunez

Captain
As Dubs283 posted about cable travel. If you still have the instructions from the control would be helpful. If not try down loading it. At least try measuring the total cable travel from full forward to full reverse. I am going to guess that you should have 3” total travel which I bet you do not have.
With both ends of the cable disconnected you should be able to pull and push tha cable with just 2 fingers. If it takes much more than that replace it with one of the “supreme” versions which have tiny ball bearings impregnated in the jacket.