Volvo trim automatic fuse & shaking steering vheel

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi!

I have a 1997 chaparral boat with twin 5.7 GLi engines (pre-vortec) & DP drives...

I have two things i don't know exactly how to take care of:

- one trim motor constantly pops the automatic fuse mounted on the side of the pump BUT it only pops when the boat is underway, otherwise everything works fine (even if i stand on the stern and try to lower or raise it) - I suspect a faulty motor - but don't know if I'm correct?

- the other thing is that when I start the engine with the power steering, the steering wheel begins to "rattle", and the rattle gets stronger if I don't pull the steering wheel strong... I already tried to bleed the system by steering 10-15 times from one side to the other with the engine off but that didn't fix it... Can anyone help me out? Is it possible that the bar that connects the 2 sterndrives is loose and that the "rattling" is caused by that space?

Thanx

Alex

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo trim automatic fuse & shaking steering vheel

Ayuh,... I would guess the trim motor is probably the problem,...
I doubt the drive or rams are that siezed up, but maybe...

For the P/S, look to the actuator,...
It's got a little effort sensing valve that's probably alittle too tight from corrosion...

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Bondo!

Yeah, my guess was also the trim motor... If the trim cylinders were seized up, the pump would still work but the pressure would release, similar to the upmost position, wouldn't it?

Where do I find the actuator? On the P/S cylinder? What does it look like?

Thanx

Alex

Bondo

Staff member

Where do I find the actuator? On the P/S cylinder? What does it look like?

Ayuh,... It's the contraption mounted on the transom that has the tiller arm, steering cable,+ 2 hyd. hoses attached to it...
Look in the manual,...
It explains how the "Flats" of the rod need to be aligned to allow the valving to work...
It might just need a Good Cleanin'...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When bleeding the steering, turn the wheel lock to lock about half a dozen times with the engine OFF. Then start it and steer lock to lock at idle a few times.
Make sure the oil level is not low in the PS pump, if the oil turns foamy from the air, you may have to let it set for an hour or so and repeat the process.

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Don!

@Bondo: I looked up in the manual for "LK" models, but I didn't find anything about the "Flats"... Can you help me out more? Do you suggest that I dismantle the complete P/S cylinder?

@Don: I tried that already multiple times with no effect... The rattle starts only when I start the engine OR if I suddenly pull the steering wheel strong...

Alex

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, some updates:

- the system was leaking oil at the P/S oil cooler (the clamps were plastic, so I tossed them and replaced with SS ones)
- the system WAS missing oil, so I added it and did the procedure that Don suggested

the rattling was almost gone when starting, BUT if i pull the steering wheel suddenly / strong to the left or right, the rattling starts... I noticed that the rattling starts easier with the trim up than with the trim down...

Any suggestions PLEEEASE? ;) Or should i dismantle the actuator? Could the pins for the connecting rod be the problem?

Thanx

Alex

ss9940_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm no ideas? Anyone? Guess it's one of the mysterious Volvo DP problems...