Volvo SX-M alignment

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey - figured in the downtime I would take the time to do the yearly alignment and gimbal check myself this time (my first time) but am having trouble with the alignment. I had the gimbal bearing replaced last year along with bellows so everything looks good there. The shop that did it last year did say the alignment was off but then obviously fixed it when the put the new bearing in...hmm?

At fist I couldn't even get the bar into the coupler. It made me think I had the wrong bar. I spun the engine 90 deg and got it in about an 1" and got spline marks on the starboard side and a little on the top of the bar. After a few times in and out of the boat, I adjusted the mounts about 1/4"down and got the bar all the way in and even at one point got the "goes in like butter" feeling. However at some spots while turning the engine, I still get spline marks on the starboard side and it goes in with more force than it should.

Oh ya, I did hit the bar at 90 deg increments with a mallet. Didn't seem to help.

So in summary, at one point, I get the good "butter" feeling but when I turn the engine, I still get marks on the starboard side. I have read Don's threads and the last one I read pretty much says that in cases like this, put the drive back on and go boating. Does this sound like one of those cases? Should I just leave it be and go boating? I'm tempted to take it to another shop since the drive is off anyway and have them take a crack at it. They said they would check it out but wanted me to put the drive in the truck and bring it too just to be sure they got everything right.

Thanks guys.