Volvo QL Trim Tab System

peterbo3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Afternoon all,
Am getting a new 21 ft alloy boat built & the builder is pushing the Volvo tabs. He previously used Bennett tabs but now says these Volvo tabs are the best thing since riptops on beer cans. I have been to the Volvo site but there is no real info on how they actually work. I know that they are electric & everything is sealed but what actually makes em move? 8)
Anyone who has them or knows firsthand about them.......please give me your impressions re performance, durability , etc.

Regards,
Peter

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo QL Trim Tab System

Looks very interesting. I like the fact that there are no hydraulics. Might make an install easier to do on boats that have an extended swim step that doesn't leave enough room for the hydraulic RAM.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Volvo QL Trim Tab System

I saw them at the boat show last weekend. They take very little room and would easily fit under any swim step.

Controls very simple with 4 buttons. One both down, one both up then one up and down for each side.

I am sure it would help you get on plane faster and do not stick out behind the boat to cut feet or fishing line.

The short little tab moves down by pushing out of the houseing at 90 degrees to the water surface.

I just wonder how much they help the ride. The should be able to lift the stern and bring the bow down.

Thing that happends with bennett tabs in the sea is when the bow is pushed by a wave or swell the rise of the bow also mean the trailing edge of the trim tabs goes down. This effect tries to keep the bow from riseing and smooths the ride making the bow cut the wave better.

Will be interesting to see what effect the new tabs have. One nice thing is if no one points them out you will not notice.