Volvo Penta tilt/trim issue

johnnymac3687

Recruit
I have a Volvo Penta 5.0Gi PEFS, year 2000 I believe. My outdrive is a VP Sx-m 1.60. My boat is a 2001 Larson 230 Lxi. My trim seems to operate properly but the motor runs for about 3 or 4 seconds before I see my gauge move. Is that normal? Also when I trim boat at speed in water it trims but my gauge will drop back down. It feels as if my boat is still trimmed but gauge shows fully down. In the driveway it stays up when I tilt it up and doesn't seem to be losing pressure in the rams. Nothing appears to be leaking either. My question is this: Larson boats in that year had a VDO cluster which I've heard are known to have problems. I've had one mechanic on the phone tell me the cluster was probably the issue and the mechanic that I took it to said he is unsure if it's the cluster or the trim sending unit. I don't want to throw parts at it and wanted to see if anyone has had this happen or has experience with this. Any help would be appreciated!

4now04

Seaman
Re: Volvo Penta tilt/trim issue

It sounds like your trim sensor is out of adjustment.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo Penta tilt/trim issue

Trim Sender has a rubber hex on the shaft, it will distort if the sender shaft is a bit stiff. Pull the sender off, it is only 2 screws and lube the shaft where it enters the seal, try not to get any lube on the rubber hex as it goes soft and makes the problem even worse.