Volvo penta tilt no up or down

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I connected the 280 Volvo tilt mechanism today and I find that it doesn't go up or down when I use the switch. I decided to test motor directly and it turns just fine both ways. I tried testing the other cables directly and I only hear relays clicking but no movement. Help me test this properly to find out why this is happening.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo penta tilt no up or down

Have you checked the fuse near the motor. The relays have 2 circuits, the one that make it go click is on a different fuse.

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is no fuse near the motor. I bought it off eBay used. I think I also have the red wire connected wrong. I have it connected near the coil where there is a relay on the aq271. I looked at plans and it says it goes to the + on the starter.

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any more advice? How can I check relays to make sure they are still good?

Cadet

The only reason why I'm saying this is b/c I had the same prob. The circuits he might be refering to look like black sugar cubes. That's how the parts guy discribed them. I changed them out out and it worked . . .up and down no prob.

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And those circuits are located near the motor of the tilt mechanism?

coronatrophy

Cadet

the fuse is a larger model, its in a black connector. The red wire you have going to the 12v+, is it a straight wire or does it have connectors built into the wire?

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will check this weekend.

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was able to check today and there are no fuses on any of the wires. Is not having the red wire directly connected to the + side of the starter a factor?

LadyAnya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am having the same issues again. I got the tilt motor to work some time ago and I went to test it today and nothing. All I heard was the relays clicking but no movement. Also, I seem to be getting some grounding somewhere because when I give the yellow/green wire power is sparks and gets hot instantly.

What more do I need to check?

Thanks