Volvo penta Sx-m steering problem

stretch84

Cadet
Help needed!!i have a volvo 3.0 with a sx-m When I try start the engine the outdive turns by its self always in the same direction and locks after a while it releases . I assume the pressure in the cylinder is releasing. From what I have worked out it's like the steering fluid is pressurising the steering cyclinder on one side and pushing the ram. Is there a valve in the steering cylinder or do I have a dodgy seal? I don't want to by a new steering cylinder unless I have to as there quite expensive! Unless my pump is causing the problem but I don't see how. This is frustrating the hell out of me. :mad-new:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo penta Sx-m steering problem

Help needed!!i have a volvo 3.0 with a sx-m When I try start the engine the outdive turns by its self always in the same direction and locks after a while it releases . I assume the pressure in the cylinder is releasing. From what I have worked out it's like the steering fluid is pressurising the steering cyclinder on one side and pushing the ram. Is there a valve in the steering cylinder or do I have a dodgy seal? I don't want to by a new steering cylinder unless I have to as there quite expensive! Unless my pump is causing the problem but I don't see how. This is frustrating the hell out of me. :mad-new:

Ayuh,.... The steerin' actuator should have abit of free-play in it's valve when the motor is Off,...

My guess is, yer's is seized,...

The valvin' is on/in the starboard end of the actuator,...

stretch84

Cadet

Thanks I assume there is no way of unseizing the valve? I have attached a pic of the actuator. Not sure where the valve could be in the starboard side of the actuator?

myqTLyWoYepkUYScNzC5Cpg.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks I assume there is no way of unseizing the valve? I have attached a pic of the actuator. Not sure where the valve could be in the starboard side of the actuator?

View attachment 229224

Ayuh,.... Have ya got a Shop Manual,..??

The valvin' is right near the red plastic plugs ya got in it,...
The upper rod in the picture should have wrench flats on it, which is part of the valvin',...

stretch84

Cadet

Didn't realize there was a repair manual! Thought when the actuator was broke ya replaced it. Thought I might be able to free up the valve beginning to think I'm going to have to replace it :(