Volvo Penta outdrive id

rick67

Cadet
I've read quite a lot about id'ing the outdrive by finding various numbers and such, but none of mine seem to line up correctly. In other words I need help. This is what I know;
I have a 1984 fishcraft houseoboat with a AQ200D volvo penta 305 cu in engine. Where the mounting asembly for the outdrive comes through the transom there is a plate with the following numbers, PN 850678-8337 and SN 647996. Also on the top of the outdrive u joint housing their is a plate which reads, PZNR 28148778B, and "Made in Sweden", however there is not a ratio or any other number. I have a crack in the intermediate housing which I am preparing to change out and want to be sure that I identify the outdrive correctly. Some literatures says it is a 280B and some says 290. Any help would be appreciated in a big way.
thanks,
Rick67

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know different outdrive, but my sx-m had a plate on the lower unit.
hope this helps

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
More than likely you have a 280 drive.
Does it have hydrolic trim/ tilt? If you do it might be a 290.
Like Patinidaho suggested pics???

rick67

Cadet
20141111_155919.jpg It's not pretty to look at but here it is. The id on the shift cover has been removed. It has a power tilt but does not have a guage to signify a power trim. any help is greatly appreciated.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Sure looks like a 280. Your ratio behind a 305 should be 1.61:1. Power trim was very rare option on 280s and you most likely don't have power trim. The tilt function is NOT trim and you should never try to use it as trim. Its either full up with out running or full down when running.

Thalasso

Commander
Sure looks like a 280. Your ratio behind a 305 should be 1.61:1. Power trim was very rare option on 280s and you most likely don't have power trim. The tilt function is NOT trim and you should never try to use it as trim. Its either full up with out running or full down when running.

Is that one have a electrical box with what looks like relays mounted on the transom? Only have seen one

rick67

Cadet
I have been going ahead with that assumption also, that it is a 280B, thanks for helping to verify that information for me.
take care and safe boating
Rick

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
I would not pay attention to the B. Your transmission should have a D on it unless some one changed it. witch a B would make me think so.
To know with certainty you need to take the prop off and the zinc behind it. Stamped on the area below will be your actual gear ratio.
B,C,D actually mean nothing on a 280 out drive as there all interchangeable and unless you know for sure that it is the original transmission you can not go by the letter.
If your engine is a V8 your transmission should have a D.
B indicates a 4Cyl engine
C indicates a 6cyl engine