Volvo penta hot fuel pump

my question is why my brand new low pressure pump is so hot you could grill a nice burger on it? I cant figure out as a mechanic why this could possibly happen? is there a fuel sock in the fuel tank? should i blow back in the line to try to clear something that coule be clogged? oh its a 1997 5.7GI. Thanks guys

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo penta hot fuel pump

I think the tank pick up hose would have a screened end to keep big debris out of the pump. I think Ive seen that on my 2007 BAYLINER 185 so it possible the end is dirty and is restricting fuel flow.

dmanera

Recruit

Good morning!

I have a 1997 5.7 gsi also with the same problem, just changed both the high and low pressure pumps and when I tested the motor at idle to ensure there were no gas leaks, I discovered the low pressure pump was running extremely hot, The voltage checked out ok, the anti siphon valve checked out ok, the fuel reservoir was clean and the float setting was correct, I changed the water fuel separator, I bench tested the old low pressure pump with water and when I restricted the water flow on the outlet tube the pump would not get hot like in the boat, the fuel pressure on both the high and low pumps are within specification, I have not checked the pickup inside the tank yet which is the last thing I can think of, if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate the help maybe the low pressure pump is suppose to run hot at idle, it does cool off when the rpm is raised because of the additional fuel running through it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Dave

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Start a new thread with your question Dave, or in no time your question will not be seen and people will answer only the original question.

dmanera

Recruit

Don thanks for the heads up!

New to the site, how do i start a new thread?

Thanks,
Dave