Volvo Penta DP-S Grease Tube Question

douglee25

Seaman Apprentice
Referencing this thread - http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=380502&p=3144759#post3144759

My question is -

I have my entire volvo dp-s gimbal assembly out, I thought it would be a good time to address this. FYI - The drive is a 1997 for what it's worth.

When I looked at my grease tube, it comes straight out from the zerk and goes straight into the housing. Is that how everyone else's looked? I don't see how this piece could even back out if it tried. My tube also 'appears' to be metal. I tried poking it with an awl and it doesn't flex.

Let me know your thoughts.

Doug

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta DP-S Grease Tube Question

It's probably just painted the same color, they are all plastic, and a few leak. IF yours doesn't leak, then don't worry about it. It's not something that has to be fixed, just a way of fixing one that can't get the leak stopped.

douglee25

Seaman Apprentice

Ok good enough.

Thanks again.

Doug

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't think there was anything wrong with mine either, it is a 2000 model year. When I went to remove the tube it basically fell out with little resistance. While you have it apart I would do the conversion for such little money it costs. I removed my drive this week to find that I had no water in the bellows! Life is good!

douglee25

Seaman Apprentice

I tried pushing on it again this weekend while I was working on it. The tube definitely isn't moving. I'll keep an eye on it and if I need to, I'll fix it at that point.

Doug