Volvo penta 3.0 with SX-A drive leaking....just out of warranty :(

Frankdtank

Seaman
Re: Volvo penta 3.0 with SX-A drive leaking....just out of warranty :(

I posted two replies back top back, this is the first one...

I got 3lb slide hammer/puller kit and i have been knocking away at it for awhile, but the bearing won't budge.
Any ideas?......... I am actually considering a fancy puller off of ebay that is designed to do the job.
On the drive side of the problem I have removed the bearing carrier from the drive. What is the proper way of removing the shaft/u-joint assembly?
I am referencing to the diagram below:

U-Joint And Bearing Carrier SX-A, DPS-A - 7746270 - Volvo Penta

I am guessing removing snap ring #6 and screw #4 should allow for removal ?

Also the parts on the drive side of the bearing carrier look great and the only thing I am thinking about replacing is the seal #12.
On the engine side I hope to get away with a new seal #7 and if needed a bearing #8.

Since the u-joint/shaft assembly is only sold as one piece assembly ($450 at volvo), I decided to soak the u-joint in some rust remover. It is looking pretty good, but what do I know? Is there an outside chance of re greasing it and being able to save it or is it toast?

I know these are a lot of questions, but it's my first time, so I thanks for all the help..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have never been inside an SX-A drive, but it's identical to the earlier SX.
You can replace just the ujoints, cleaning the outsides is useless, it's the insides that matter.
Here are ujoint part numbers.
See item #3 http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/vp-357328.html#post2360521

Here is a link to the OEM service manual https://www.dropbox.com/s/qevkbz0qyqrof1m/7746477 SX-A, DPS-A Service Manual 09-2008.pdf See page 62 of the manual for the pinion carrier assembly for details.

You are going to have to replace the crush sleeve and reset the rolling torque when you replace the front seal. Hope the front yoke where the seal rides is in good shape.

In your parts link, you need a new screw #4 (not recommended to reuse them) and the crush sleeve #3 and oring 12.
U-Joint And Bearing Carrier SX-A, DPS-A - 7746270 - Volvo Penta

Frankdtank

Seaman

Good deal, thanks.

Frankdtank

Seaman

Well, I found a good deal on ebay on a new universal joint kit, came with a new crush sleeve and bolt and free shipping for $299, at least I know is't good.

I have a question about setting the rolling torque. I understand that is directly related to the tightness of the bolt, but how do you measure for that?

Thanks.

Frankdtank

Seaman

I have all this, but what I don't understand is how do you measure? Do you put a torque wrench on the bolt and try to turn the shaft, while slowly increasing the resistance till the wrench breaks between the recommended torque? Please kind of spell it out, cause I never done this before.
Thanks.

Don S

Yes, you use an inch lb. dial torque wrench. Check the rolling torque while the bearings are rolling, not when just starting.
Make sure you put oil on the bearings and after tightening, turn the shaft a couple of revolutions to seat things before checking the rolling torque.

Frankdtank

Seaman

Thanks Don. Sounds like I need another tool.

Frankdtank

Seaman

I am trying to think of a way to pressure test the drive once reassembled.
Do you know who where to get a fitting that would fit the drive and allow the attachment of and air tube?
Or any other suggestion short of taking it down to the shop.
Thanks.

Frankdtank

Seaman

Don S

Looking at the picture in the manual, it appears you are correct in how to install it. It doesn't say specifically in words, just a small drawing.
Personally, I've never changed one, so can't say by experience.

Frankdtank

Seaman

Thanks, Don... I am only changing it cause the old one was in bad shape and it got completely destroyed during bearing removal...

Frankdtank

Seaman

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

The seal is in and so is the bearing. I am "pretty sure" it's all the way in and even, however the alignment is so out of whack that the alignment tool wont even go in the engine coupler.

Is this expected after changing bearing ?
Should I hammer away at the bearing some more before beginning to mess with the engine mounts?

Frankdtank

Seaman

IMG_1351.jpg

Wow, that was easy, a bump with the palm of the hand all the way around and the tool slid right in. Even spline marks all around also when it's bottomed out I can spin it with two fingers :) I'll turn the engine and recheck just to be sure.

Thanks Don...

Frankdtank

Seaman

Everything is back together and the boat runs great, no vibrations and it's much quieter.
The only issue I am having is that the trim gauge is stuck in "up". I found out too late that removing the sensor was completely unnecessary, and must have done something wrong when I put it back.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Don S

Might make a suggestion for the future. Start a new thread with a different problem. Your new question at post #38 will be lost in the shuffle when people that don't read all the replies miss your question.
Just re-check your work on the sender. Probably just an adjustment.

Frankdtank

Seaman

Right again Don... I guess that sensor is a little touchy about position...

Thanks for all the help!