Volvo Penta 280 tilt trim issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Called a Screw rod. I have had them stuck before and what i did to get it loose was i secure the housing and use a propane torch with MAP gas to heat the housing HOT! Use a board to protect the rod and hit it with a hammer. First one way then the other. If it comes out great if not soak it with some penetrating oil for a while and try again.
Sooner or later it will come out.

boatingmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Great news Tonka! So how did you get it out in the end? Ive tried a pipe wrench on mine and could get it to budge!

What can you recommend? Did you apply heat? Did you soak it in oil? Did the whole assembly come out as one without removing the bush that presses onto the motor to lift it?

Im rather worried about damaging something using brute force! Looks to be the only option!

The lift motor sounds from the switch in forwards and reverse.

Perhaps my screw rod is also seized! It worked when i purchased the boat for a short time.
Im in the water at the mo and not in a position to come out for a while so even if i do manage to pull it i need to be careful.

There's a good YouTube video on someone stripping and rebuilding one of the lifting assembly's i watched last year, have a search!

Morning boatingmark, here's the scoop, I used a hydraulic press at a Volvo dealer... it worked great!! . there's a inner seal (O-ring) at he bottom of the piston, that was torn apart and water made it up the shaft and cause some corrosion. On YouTube There are two videos by raven57......( break down of a 280 tilt mech)..number 1, taking the whole thing apart and then there's Number 2 putting it back together! I don't know which way the bearings cage faces....... the 2 videos contradict each other, if you get a chance please watch and let me know what you think

boatingmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ah i see! Im trying to visualise how you used the press to pulled it out!? What did you use as a surface on which to allow the press to operate?

Yes i think their the videos i watched, ill watch them again, will the assembly diagram in the manual tell you the orientation of the cage?

Lets see how to explain it ........sort of like a drill press , but instead of you bringing the drill down, its a hydraulic ram with a thin steel bit ( a little smaller than the piston itself) that you pump down by hand. the tilt mechanism is on a steel table with a hole in it small enough for the steel bit to push the piston through.....I hope that helps........lol its the best I got:)
I Looked at the diagram in the manual, it does not show a clear picture of the cage.......very frustrating, video 1 shows both the bearing cage with the crimp side facing towards the bottom of the piston........video 2 does not really show it either, if you watch when he does put it on he seems like he's not sure.!! please watch it if you have 12 minutes and please let me know what you think.
Sincerely
John

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's been a while since we went thru our rebuild on this unit, so I don't really recall how we reassembled it. IIR, the ball bearings will not fit thru the cage, and the cage is designed to keep the balls separated. So logic would tell me, if the cage were to go in 1st, gravity would allow the cage to fall and rest on the bottom of the housing and it would not be doing its job, The housing sits vertical in the transom housing. I believe we installed the bearings so they would go in 1st, cage on top. If you look at the teardown video at 1 point you can see all the items still on the shaft, In that pic, you can see the lower ball bearings and cage b4 he takes it off the shaft. You can see more of the bearings are exposed towards the bottom housing and less of the bearings on top. Good luck, Ken

Last edited:

captmello

Captain
It's been a while since we went thru our rebuild on this unit, so I don't really recall how we reassembled it. IIR, the ball bearings will not fit thru the cage, and the cage is designed to keep the balls separated. So logic would tell me, if the cage were to go in 1st, gravity would allow the cage to fall and rest on the bottom of the housing and it would not be doing its job, The housing sits vertical in the transom housing. I believe we installed the bearings so they would go in 1st, cage on top. If you look at the teardown video at 1 point you can see all the items still on the shaft, In that pic, you can see the lower ball bearings and cage b4 he takes it off the shaft. You can see more of the bearings are exposed towards the bottom housing and less of the bearings on top. Good luck, Ken

The bearings should be held by the cage and shouldn't fall out. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it doesn't matter which way they go. The races on either side of the bearing assembly are the same.

Ken ,Captmello, Boatingmark, thank you all for your input on this matter.......I really do appreciate it!!! its all back together and working, the only problem I had was
screwing the two pieces together it threaded on nicely ..... except the last 16th of a inch I could not for the life of me turn it anymore so I'm leaving well enough alone.
so I'm going to throw it in the boat this weekend, I'll let you all know how it goes......again thank you all very much.
Sincerely
John

captmello

Captain
The two halves are screwed together and act as the adjustment for the assembly clutch. You should be able to push the outdrive down by hand when raised. If you can't push it down, loosen the top cover a bit to adjust the slip.
Glad to hear you got it working.

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We left our adjustment towards the loose side after the rebuild, then tightened it up until we got the results we were looking for.

Last edited:

wausedboater

Recruit
Kind of related question with AQ280 on a 1978 Glasply hardtop. Tilt quit responding to tilt switch on dash. Light on switch also quit at same time. I hardwired tilt motor on unit to test. Tilt works perfectly both up and down. Doesn't seem likely that relay is the problem as what are the chances light on switch would quit at the same time as the relay(?). Wiring diagram shows a 20 amp fuse in circuitry. Can this be the problem and if so where is the fuse located.

Status
Not open for further replies.