volvo penta 280 reverse collar

horse4456

Cadet
I have a 280 that the side bolt with the ear is broken on, also the revers lock is weal and the levers worn/ the previous owner drilled it and installed a bolt / I bought a new assembly and want to know if I can disassemble to the intermediate housing without removing the entire unit. Otherwise the unit is excellent.

thx

captmello

Captain
Re: volvo penta 280 reverse collar

I guess it depends on what parts you are replacing. if you want to install the entire unit whole you'll have to pull the entire drive, remove the upper and lower housings and remove the pivot tube. It isn't really that big of a job...Unless your outdrive has been neglected and/or is heavily corroded.:eek::)

BTW, welcome to Iboats!!

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Depending on the corrosion of the drive this can be a huge chore. I have had a few, even with every industrial tool, hydraulic press, etc at my convenience, it was still a pain in the butt.

Well placed heat is an asset on these AQ series drives!

Also, take EXTRA caution when removing the upper/transmission and the lower unit so you do not damage, lose or mix-up the required shims.

Bill

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not clear on which piece is broken so pictures of will help. I'd also be concerned about the transom shield if the large cast pieces of the intermediate section are broken. Seems to me it would have taken a pretty big hit to break something and it may have also damaged something else.

Like the others have said, it's not that hard to remove the whole drive or to remove individual components. If you don't have one yet, get a shop manual, It'll do wonders helping to explain how things go together. Here's a link to the from the "must have ....." section above: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=342393

You've got plenty of help here from both experts and people who have muddled through it (like myself) and managed to fix things and (sometimes) not make it worse :redface:

horse4456

Cadet

Thanks all
I wanted to replace the collar that the shaft goes though. The bolt that has a small 1/4" shaft that sticks out has been replaced with a regular bolt. I really don't see the reason for the shaft but I'm sure there is one. I replaced the springs but it still won't lock down. the release rod is free. I'm going to relpace the worn levers and just thought if it was relatively easy I'd just do the whole assembly.
Gregg

captmello

Captain

horse4456

Cadet

#46 on starboard side only the shaft is broken

thanks
gregg

captmello

Captain

#46 on starboard side only the shaft is broken

thanks
gregg

Thats kind of what I thought.:)

While I've not done this myself, it looks like the replacement should thread right in without removing the entire assembly. Hope the bolt the previous owner stuck it there didnt ruin the threads.

Let us know what happens with that.

The two hook parts that grab the bar can be replaced easily if they need replacing. Sounds like you have an entire assembly to pull parts off of, right?

How is the retaining pawl working? Can you just pull it up by hand without releasing to pawl?

horse4456

Cadet

the threads are definitely screwed up. I got a complete assembly to replace it. I was hoping I could just drop the lower and intermediate sections but it looks like I need to remove it completely and disassemble. Every thing else works great so I don't want to take anything but the absolute necessary apart. The oil was clean with no metal so I'm hoping to just change it out again.
Thanks

captmello

Captain

So what's your next move? Some guys chain the outdrive down and forget about it. If your slipped in deep water, I guess thats an option.

If you are trailering your boat, chaining it down won't cut it.

FWIW, it sounds like your outdrive is in good shape. I broke my outdrive down to that point this fall. I pulled the outdrive, put in in a stand, pulled the upper gear box off, pulled the intermediate assembly off, drove out the pivot tube. At that point I was holding the entire pawl in my hand. Took me about two hours to break it down. I freshened up all my seals and bushings, replaced my needle bearings and seals and put it back together. in fact I'm waiting for a couple more parts to complete the assembly.

It really isn't that bad a job fi your mechanically inclined.

As stated earlier, If your outdrive has a lot of corrosion. It becomes more difficult. My outdrive has no corrosion. Fresh water, trailered boat.