Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive Full Reassembly Job?

BigBobsBigBobbingBogBoat

Seaman Apprentice
Guys,

Still working on the old volvo penta 280 outdrive. I've completely disassembled it, scraped it clean, filled pits with JBweld, and will be repainting it soon.

As far as disassembling and cleaning it. I'm in good shape.

The question I have is: I don't have a volvo penta mechanic anywhere in my area. I'm too nervous to reassemble, prestress, pressure test, ect myself. Would any of you know of a good volvo mechanic who would fully reassemble a Volvo Penta 280 from parts, and then test it?

Any idea what the cost would be? I can't afford much, but I'm nervous to do this myself.

Thanks guys...

-Bob

outdoorsman10

Seaman
Re: Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive Full Reassembly Job?

Bob, Bob, Bob....... What have you done? Better find yourself a manual because if, and I say IF you find a mechanic, he will charge you through the nose. NOBODY likes to put something together that someone else tore apart.

BigBobsBigBobbingBogBoat

Seaman Apprentice

hahaha.. yea. I thought about that. Maybe I can make it through the reassembly with some help from the folks here.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Tell us more about your idea of "completely disassembled". Are we talking about gears, bearings, shims, shafts, spacers, and seals laying around in piles or just the major components and fork split from each other?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is a link to download the OEM service manual for free http://www.4shared.com/file/48536730/fa3b3311/280_to_DP-C_Drive_manual.html
You still need special tools to get the job done right.
You really need to get the shimming right so you have the proper preloads and gear patterns, or the drive will not last very long.

I would guess a shop is going to take 6 to 8 hours to clean, reshim, reseal and reassemble, pressure check and fill with oil, and without seeing the parts, that is just a WAG.

BigBobsBigBobbingBogBoat

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. I've got the manual and have been disassembling it per it's instructions. Yes, I've got it down to bare gears, shims, ect. My real worry is what Don mentioned, re-shimming, pressure checking and making sure the proper preloads and gear patterns are set. The manual has all that, but I've never done it before, so I'm a bit apprehensive. I've got most of the special tools I need.

--Bob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I've got most of the special tools I need.

Sure hope you have the ones you REALLY need, and not just the ones you THINK you need.

I've rebuilt well over a hundred of those drives, and the manual really doesn't give you all the information you need, unless you are really good at reading between the lines and understanding what the manual is actually trying to accomplish. So pay attention, and think about what the manual is trying to say.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No offense but it gives me chills when they tell me the owner had already worked on it!Get yourself a VOLVO service manuel.Good luck