Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive Clamping Ring/ double bearing box stuck

BigBobsBigBobbingBogBoat

Seaman Apprentice
IMG_1563[1].jpgIMG_1564[1].jpgGuys,

Still working on that old volvo penta 280 Outdrive but I cant seem to seperate the clamping ring from the double bearing box in the upper gearcase! I've taken two pics of it, it's crazy, in the manual, p35 of 280toDP-C_manual.pdf it explicitly mentions to push out the double bearing box, even using a rubber mallet might do it.

The big issue is it looks like the clamping ring and the double bearing box are just one piece, can't see any even micro thin space that would indicate they come apart (see the 2nd pic). I've hit it a bunch of times, heated, ect, and no movement...

Any thoughts?

Thanks again...

BigBobsBigBobbingBogBoat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive Clamping Ring/ double bearing box stuck

IMG_1566.jpg

hey guys, here's anotehr photo of where that volvo penta 280 clamping ring/ double bearing box appears stuck. I found the part number on the clamping ring, that appears to be 853006 FA2 . Can't seem to find anything on it really.

The bug issue seems to be that I'm just unclear if the clamping ring and double bearing box actually can seperate. It just looks like they're all one piece...

Anyone ever see something similar? The manual doesnt mention anything about it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If it's a 280, the double bearing box does come out, and corrosion will make them look almost like one piece. You can find out by putting a magnet on the side of the double bearing box. It's steel, if it was all one piece, it would be aluminum.
I used to press them out on a press. Just make sure when you block it to stay back away from the step on the double bearing box.
I had an old upper gear box housing that was machined out just for those type, in salt water, they were always corroded in.

BigBobsBigBobbingBogBoat

Seaman Apprentice

Don, you are totally awesome. big thanks! Not positive it's a 280, the clamp also has a weird 88 stamp near the top. I'm trying to research that now. I've used a gasket scraper to get in between the clamp and double bearing box, but it all looks solid. I'm 99.9% sure the clamp is aluminum, but possibly the double bearing box, up to the gear itself may be aluminum as well.... the gear on top definitely takes a magnet and is steel, but the side of that double bearing box (definitely not the clamp, doesnt seem to take the magnet.

Were there similar model that had something similar? Like an extended "sleeve" on the clamp ring?

Don S

Did some checking, and it appears that the 290A and the 290DP are the only 2 models that had the all aluminum double bearing box and clamp ring as one piece.
From there the drive changed to the SP and DP style with a different looking cap, but also had different upper and lower bearings than the older drives. This would make it impossible to use any of the newer type on the older 280 drives.
But the 290A and the 290DP while using the 1 piece double bearing box also used the old style upper and lower bearings like the 280.
I just never came across a 280 that someone switched boxes on. but I have worked on a number of 290 DP's, but it wasn't really a problem because I just used what I had and wasn't trying to swap it to something else.

What all this gibberish means, is yes, you could have one that is 1 piece.

BigBobsBigBobbingBogBoat

Seaman Apprentice

Don, you're totally right, i saw in a manual that that piece is a single part. I'm thinking maybe I've misidentified this drive, and that it's a SP-A... which had that 1 piece and also that distinctive angled sliding sleeve cover. I definitely don't have any other markings left on the drive, and the other outdrive that came with the boat (which was off at the time) was a 285I'm not stressing if these two drives will even work togther with the aq225d twin engines.

Am I SOL?

Thanks again Don!

Don S

The SP series drives will not fit on a 280 transom shield.