Volvo Penta 275

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First let me start by saying howdy. I'm new here and like what ya'll have done with the place. Great info and you guys seem like a great bunch. That's why I joined so I could get in on all the fun.

If I sound a bit stupid please bear with me as this is my first i/o. I've always run Johnson and Evinrude outboards so all this is new to me. I recently aquired an older speedboat with a Volvo 230B and a 275 outdrive. The engine is no problem. It's pretty basic. But what I'm not familiar with is the sterndrive side of this. I know there is a seawater pump on the front of the engine with a replaceable impeller but is there one in the foot? I can't seem to find any service info on it and I'd like to catch up on all the maintenance so I don't have to worry about it on the water. Also, what kind of chore is it to replace the boot between the outdrive and the transom. The upper one is torn pretty badly. And it looks like the whole thing has to come apart to replace it. I'll post pics soon. I have never seen one of these boats and would like ya'lls opinion on it. Thanks a bunch.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 275

There isn't a raw water pump in any Volvo outdrives. They are always engine mounted.
If you have a ujoint bellows leaking, you will need to check your drive for water intrusion. The seal is not designed to keep water out, only oil in. The bellow is supposed to keep the water our.
You may also have water in the bearings of the engine bellhousing. It will (Eventually) cause the bearings to sieze up and probably destroy the bellhousing. You really should pull the upper gear box and check the bearings for milky grease. That would indicate water.
Removing the upper gear box is all you have to do to replace the bellows, see the link below.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=242004